My Life Now

"Ugh," I fell to the ground again, losing for the what had to be the twentieth time today, okay maybe not that many. Oliver offered me his hand and I took it gratefully. My training had begun three weeks ago. I've spend most days, running, fighting, and shooting with a bow. I've had different trainers on different days, sometimes I would train with Thea, sometimes with Laurel, or Diggle, or Roy, mainly with Oliver though. "You lasted pretty long that time," Roy says from a chair. I whip around to glare at him, "Why are you even here? Don't you have a life?" I snap at him. Roy and I had gotten closer again during my training it was fun to train with him because he wasn't as hard core as Oliver. "Well, I'm actually here to talk to Oliver but it's always fun to watch you fall," he laughs as I grab my water bottle off the table and through it at him. When it hits him he laughs even more coming around, "You want to go Walker?" He jumps at me and I dodge him laughing. We start playfully fighting until Oliver clears his throat, "Roy you were here for something?" Roy and I straighten up right away and Roy starts talking this time in a serious tone, "I got word from Barry earlier," Roy and Oliver shoot me a glance. Roy goes on but I did't hear anything else he said. Barry and I had only talked a few times since I decided to start training, he went back to Central City quickly after along with his friends. I had tried to call him but he never answered. Maybe that was because of the fight we had before he left or maybe he was just busy. My money was for the first option. 

Three weeks ago.

After Barry and I left the room we walked around the mansion, I knew I should go find Jason but I didn't want to leave Barry. "Listen Melanie, being out in the field, it's dangerous you don't understand. You might have to do something, or you might see something. You shouldn't go through that," he stops and looks at me. "I want you safe and out there is the most unsafe place to be." I couldn't argue with him on that note, It was unsafe to be out in the field, but I wanted to be out there. "Barry I am already unsafe, everyday living in the glades I was unsafe. You saw that the first day we met. Even now with Darhk asking all these questions. I need this Barry, you of all people should understand that!" I didn't realize that I had started yelling at him and tried to calm down. The next time Barry spoke his voice was sharp, " I do know and that's why you can't go out there." 

His response takes me off guard and makes me even more angry than I already was, "You can't tell me what to do! I can go out in the field if I want to and Oliver said-" Barry interrupts me before I can finish, "You don't know anything! Melanie you don't know what you're getting yourself into, I do! I'm not going to watch you get killed!" My mouths drops open and I can just stare, then with all the sharpness and bitterness I can conjure into my voice and say, "You don't know me so don't act like it." Then I walk off. 

I storm off to my room, I knew I was acting childish but I didn't care. Barry couldn't act like he owned me. He didn't, no one did. I had forgotten Jason was up here again, he saw the hurt in my eyes and asked me what was wrong. I didn't want to talk to him, I didn't want to talk to anyone. So we ordered a pizza and watched a movie. Oliver came later to tell me Barry had left.  I thought Barry and me had a connection I was wrong, although it felt like part of me was missing. 

Present time.

I walk around to the other end of the foundry and check my phone as I'm checking my phone I drink up the rest of my water. I was going to have to get more from upstairs. I put my phone down after texting Jason that I would call him later and the walk back to where Oliver and Roy were. "I'll be right back, I have to run upstairs to get some water," Oliver nods and I run upstairs. I was digging through the fridge when I heard him approach, at first I wasn't sure who it was but my senses were on high alert. I whip around to see Cisco standing behind me, "Cisco!" I cry and run to hug him. Cisco had stayed behind for another week after Barry and the rest of them left. Cisco and I had spent time talking, Barry told him about the fight and he had agreed with me, the thought that I would be good in the field but I had to let him choose my name. "What are you doing here?" I ask him. He shrugs and then whispers, "It's top secret business." I laugh and shove him playfully. Then after a minute of laughing I get serious, "How's Barry?" He nods knowing what I really meant. "He's worried about you Melanie. I know you don't need me to tell you this but he has feelings for you. Anyway he'll be here later, for several reasons, you being one of them." I nod and smile to myself. "Let's go downstairs."

We walk downstairs talking about what's happen since we last saw each other. When we get to the foundry I go back to training while Cisco and Roy do something with the computer. I fought harder than I had been and almost beat Oliver, bringing him to the ground with me but he pinned me down. I struggled to get away from him but failed. "Give up?" he asks looking down at me. I laugh but nod and he lets me free.  He holds out his hand and I take it gratefully letting him pull me to my feet. Oliver walked over and started talking in a low voice with Cisco and Roy. I could tell the training was over for today, at least that part. There was more I could do but I didn't want to look like this when Barry got here. I walked into the bathroom and started to fix myself up when I hear him enter.

I threw my hair in a braid which was normal for me lately. I walked out and Barry's eyes flew to me. I tried to smile but failed. "Hey," I whisper. He nods and turns to Oliver, he says something that I don't hear but I see Ollie glance at me and then nod. Barry walks over with me, "Can we talk?" I nod and we walk upstairs, but he doesn't stop there he keeps walking. When we get outside he picks me up and we were off. I had forgotten how it felt to be at this speed in Barry's arms.

When we stopped I was outside of STAR Labs. I looked at him and he nodded, "I need to say sorry," he whispered. "I was being selfish. I convinced myself that you weren't strong enough for this life. I wanted you to know but not to join. I was wrong from the start you were, are, strong enough for this." Barry shocks me and I hug him faster than even he could have ran. "Thank you," I whisper, he didn't know how much it meant to me. My life had felt a little weird since Barry walked out as if a part of me walked out to. Now I was whole again, everyone I cared about was back. Now I just have to learn how to keep them. "I brought you here to help you train, get faster," he shrugged and pulled away. I nodded and we walked in talking about what we were going to do.