Trying

It's been two days since I found out Oliver Queen was my brother. After I left his office I went home. We texted back and fourth a couple of times, but when he called I didn't answer. It wasn't that I didn't like him, I just needed time to soak it all in. Unlike what most people think finding out that you have a billionaire brother isn't as amazing as it seems. It also means you had a billionaire father who screwed your mother and didn't know you existed. I don't know who I was mad at. Sometimes I thought it was my mom, other times I blamed Robert Queen, but most if the time I blamed myself. I blamed myself for not figuring it out. Even when my mother was on the phone with the Queens I didn't suspect anything. When she found out Robert died I should have guessed then too. But I didn't, I lived my life being clueless. And I hated myself for it.

Oliver called me around 1 o'clock. "Hello." I answered my phone. "Melanie I was wondering if you would like to go to lunch with me and a couple friends. They are more like family to me." I didn't answer for a minute. I couldn't honestly believe he already wanted me to meet his friends. "Umm... Yeah. Sure, I'd love that" I can hear the happiness in my voice and I know Oliver could hear it too. "Great, I'll have my driver pick you up." I hung up an ran to get ready. I grabbed some of my nicest clothes, I didn't have much expensive clothes just a few items. I then put my hair in a side braid. Just as I got done getting ready there was a knock at my door. I had to remind myself not to run to answer it. When I opened it wasn't who I expected. It wasn't Oliver's driver but Oliver himself. "Hi" I say grabbing my purse and heading out. "Hi, you ready?" He asked. I nodded and we walked down to the car. My mouth dropped open as the car drove up. It wasn't a limo but it was close. He opened the door for me as I stood frozen staring at the car. He laughed slightly "Not exactly what you're use to is it?" He asked me. He looked like he hoped he wasn't over doing himself. "It's... It's amazing," I say getting in, "So where are we headed?" I asked him as the driver got on the highway the headed out of the Glades. "It's a surprise"

It takes us thirty minutes to arrive at the restaurant, which I soon found out was called Le bernardin. It was an fancy Italian restaurant and once we arrived I felt underdressed. There were six other people there wen I arrived. I instantly recognized Barry, Felicity, and Oliver's sister Thea. They were all talking and laughing. This made me feel like I didn't belong. I turn to Oliver before we get to the table, "Maybe this was a mistake" I whisper feeling extremely nervous. He smiles and shakes his head, "No. These people, they are my closest friends and family." He goes and sits down. I take the seat between him and Barry. I try to take no notice to myself or the other around me, try to be inconspicuous, but as soon as I sit down the table goes quiet and all eyes go to me. For what feels like years, but was only a few minutes, nobody talks. Oliver was the one to break the silence, "Everyone this is Melanie. It turns out she's my sister. The daughter of Robert Queen and Isabelle Walker." I smile but don't say anything. I look at Thea who is staring at Oliver. I can tell that he hadn't told her. The only one who didn't look surprised was Felicity. Even Barry, who I saw the other day, looked surprise. I realized a little to late everyone was waiting for me to say something. "Hi. It's nice to meet you all. As umm.. Oliver said I'm Melanie Walker" I sounded as nervous as I felt. What if they don't like me? What if they think Oliver should not bring me into the family? What if they think I'm a lost cause? I didn't know by I cared but I found myself looking around the table to see the reactions if everyone.

Barry who is right next to me is smiling. It looks like he wants to say something but doesn't want to get scolded. Thea is sitting next to him. She is looking directly at Oliver. It was like they were having some conversation without speaking. The boy next her looks familiar. I try to think where I have seen him but I can't place it. He was probably just somebody I use to hook up with. He is looking back as fourth between Thea, Oliver, and me. Honestly it scared me. The next girl sitting next to him is shocked, but she looks happy for Oliver and me. The next is a black man who looks like he's the oldest of all of them. I recognize him as the driver. He looks happy and nothing else. Felicity is the last who doesn't look shocked, or angry, or anything. Instead she's glancing around the table. Her eyes linger on Oliver and I can see her hand reach for his. Oliver smiles at Felicity and looks to me. I can see that he has some of the same worries that I do. I can tell that these people are his family, maybe not related by blood but they are a family.

"Welcome to the family!" Barry says patting my back. He smiles and all the sudden the tension at the table evaporates. Thea and the people on either side of her smile, "I always wanted a sister. Now I get a chance to have one." I smile and laugh a little. "John Diggle" says the black one. He was someone I'd hire to be my bodyguard if I had the money. "Nice to meet you John" I shake his hand as everyone laughs, "Call me Diggle" he says. I nod as the guy sitting next to Thea stands up and holds out his hand, "Roy Harper" he says. Suddenly I remember him, Roy Harper a street kid. About five years back when I was going through a bad time in my life I met him. We slept together a couple of times. I pull my hand away and nod, "It's nice to meet you Roy." There was tension between the both if us. Roy looks down and then over to Thea, I can see the love in his eyes. I thought I loved Roy once but I knew better now. We were friends but we didn't talk much anymore, okay we didn't talk ever. Oliver glanced between Roy and I quickly but then let it go. Although I could tell Roy and I were going to get questioned. Next, was the last person who I didn't know. "Laurel Lance" she smiles and shakes my hand as I hold it out to her. "Laurel Lance as in the ADA Laurel Lance? Like Captain Lances daughter?" I knew that I had heard the name somewhere I had to make sure. "Yes that would be me."

I watch as Oliver and the others engage in conversations. I feel like the odd one out but at the same time I feel like I'm right where I belong. Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle are all talking. Then Roy, Thea, Laurel, and Barry are talking. Barry soon fades out of the conversation he was in and turns to me, "So you're a Queen now, huh?" At first I didn't know what to say. Would or should I go that far, no I shouldn't. "I'm not sure" it was the truth. I wasn't sure and I didn't know when or if I would ever be. I don't know if I wanted to be a Queen. "It must have been a shock. Finding out you were related to ex- billionaires. I mean billionaires" he winks at me. I feel the warmth of blood rush to my cheeks. "You have no idea. I mean one minute I'm just a girl in the Glades and then the next.... It was crazy. It still is" I feel the tension I me going away as Barry laughs. "So Barry how's everything in Central City?" Thea asks him interrupting out conversation. Barry looks over to her and shrugs, "Everything's fine really. Caitlin and Ronnie just got back for their honeymoon. Dr. Wells is..... Recovering. Cisco well he's still Cisco" everyone around the table laughs when he talks about this Cisco guy. "Iris is spending sometime with her brother. Joe well, he lost his second partner and we all know how it feels to lose someone...." I glance over at Oliver who looks down. "What about The Flash?" I blurt out.

Everyone at the table turns to look at me. "I mean, he is like Central City's hero. Aside from FIRESTORM that is. But what about him? I haven't heard much about him or anything really since he fought The Reverse Flash and saved the world from a black hole. I guess I just wonder has he moved on from Central City or is he not using his powers to save people anymore?" But I knew the truth. The Flash was still saving people, he saved me. Although I didn't tell them that.

I watch Felicity glance at Barry. Actually everyone glanced at Barry. At first I thought it was because he just lived in Central City but then I had a flash back of the night when The Flash took me home. His words, his voice, his eyes, everything about him. His body was had the same build. His voice was exactly the same as Barry's. Everything about them seemed to be the same. But Barry didn't seem like the hero type. He couldn't be, could he? No I couldn't believe it. Barry looks at me and I can see the truth in his eyes I just don't want to see it so I look down at my phone and over to Oliver, "Thank you for lunch." I hand him money but he refuses to take it. "I need to go," I say as Oliver starts to get up I shake my head. "Oliver, I can find my way home. Stay here. It was nice to meet you all and I hope we get to know each other" I smile and walk out. I didn't realized I was being followed until someone grabbed my arm and pulled me back. "Hey wait!" Barry doesn't let go of my arm as I try too pull away. "Look Barry, it's getting late. I have a appointment with someone for a job. I need to go" I try to yank away again but don't have any luck. "Look about The Flash...." I interrupt him before he could go on. "The Flash, whoever he is, he's a hero. He's saved so many people. Now I have to go" I pull away and walk off.

I grab a taxi and go home. I wasn't entirely lying when I said I had plans. Jason and I had plans to hang out. He wanted to talk to me, and I still needed to tell him about Oliver.... and The Flash, Arrow, and Arsenal. When I got home he was already waiting inside. "You're late!" He calls out to me from my couch. "You know you could wait outside!" I call back hanging up my purse and taking off my shoes. I walk over and see him lounging on my couch. "Now that would be no fun" he smirks as I plop down next to him. "You looks fancy" he looks at me with a confused expression. "It's a long story, we can talk about it later" I sigh and let my hair down, I lean my head on his shoulder we stay like that for a long time.