Our Past

Oliver and I were going to go out to dinner just the two of us. I wanted to know him better and he wanted to know me. I had taken the sword back to my room and realized with a shock that Jason was still here. With all the drama that the day brought I had totally forgotten about Jason. He was sitting up on my bed messing around on his phone. He looked up when I walked in but his eyes instantly drifted to the sword I my hands. His eyes held a silent question. "Oliver gave it to me," I say answering the unspoken question. "I'm actually headed out. Your welcome to stay here. Thea will be happy to hear you're awake." I walk over to the trunk at the end of my bed and lay the weapon down. Jason starts to get up but I put my hand up, "Jase you need your rest." He looks at me and smile still not speaking, I hadn't called him Jase for almost a year now. "If you're leaving I'm going to go talk to Thea. It's no use staying here," he said and got up. He took my hands in his and looked at me. His eyes were full of wonder as happiness and hope. "Mel, you saved me," he whispers, "I was going to die as you saved me. When I was kidnapped and they tortured me. I thought of you. Of seeing you again, seeing your smile and hearing your laugh. It got me through it," his voice is soft as he speaks, "It kept me strong." I smile and pull my hands from his, "Jason, you are my best friend nothing will happen to you while I'm around. I promise." His expression is a flash of sadness but it was gone before I could really see it. He sighs wand walks to the door," Where is Thea's room?" I give him directions and watch as he leaves the room and then I go down stairs to where Oliver is waiting.

We walked into what I first thought of to be a guest house but then turned out to be the garage filled with all sorts of vehicles ranging from dirt bikes to sports cars and even a limo. I gawk at the scene on front of me as Oliver laughs. I feel his hand on my back pushing me gently towards a car. It is a pitch black Porsche. I get into the passengers side as Oliver starts the car. "So Melanie tell me something. What's going on between you and Barry?" I freeze and look out the window, I was hoping to avoid the subject. "We're friends" I shrug it off as nothing. In truth I didn't know what was going on with Barry. Oliver turns to face me and I smile, he frowns and looks back to the road. "Tell me something about yourself Melanie," his voice is quiet, almost sad. "Well, I knew Roy before you introduced us. A couple years back we were together. After my mom died he was the only thing that made me feel better. So when I saw him again I didn't know how to react so I just acted like I didn't know him. I think he played along for my sake. When my mom died I was only 14 years old. I had no other family. I was left to be on the streets," I was playing with the hair tie around my wrist while I was talking. I never talked about my life to anyone but Jason and rarely did I open up like this. I hear Oliver sigh and then he speaks, "After the Queens Gambit and my father died I was stuck on an island for fiver years. I thought Id be alone forever. Then I met Slade Wilson, he helped me. Taught me to survive and then we turned on each other. We had a plan to get off the island. He made it off but I didn't. I never thought I would see my family again." I look at him. Everyone knew Oliver Queen had been stranded on an island for five years and that the criminal Slade Wilson was on it as well but none of us knew how horrible must have been.

I didn't know what to say. "But you did. Make it off the island, I mean. You got to see your family again," he turns to face me and I can see everything in his face. The pain, the loss, the danger, everything. "But in a way you still feel like your on the island." I close my eyes. It was a couple minutes before Oliver said anything, "Yes. It feels that way sometimes. When I got home, off the island, everything was different. I had been away for five years. I only saw targets and threats, not friends and allies. When I got home I had to change my perspective again. Thea and my mother helped. Felicity made it so much easier too. But I still struggle." He pulls into a parking lot which is half full. I smile as I see we are at Big Belly Burger. It was my favorite fast food place. Oliver is getting out of the car when I grab him an pull him back. "Oliver you are a good person. I know what bad people are like. You are also a strong person. You survived five years in a hell that I can't even imagine that. When I lost my mom I thought it was the end of my world. That I was a goner. But I guess strength runs in the family because I got by and you... You became a whole different person. You aren't the playboy Oliver Queen anymore. You are a amazing guy and a good brother. Oliver you came back and you got your life back. No body did that do you. You did it yourself." He is stunned silent for a minute and then pulls me into a hug. It is an awkward hug because we are on the car but I hug him back.