One Less Burden

I spent most of the day alone, actually it wasn't until around six o'clock in the evening till I saw someone. Well more like someones. Oliver, Barry, and Felicity all walked through the doors of the mansion, usually they would be laughing but this time they all seemed frustrated. No one saw me right away, but something changed in Barry's face when he did. It seemed to loosen up and brighten, I didn't even get a chance to blink before Barry was in front of me. "I'm sorry," he said instantly. I wasn't quite sure if he was apologizing for leaving me in the morning or not being around for the whole day, either way I just nod. "It's okay," my voice was a little hoarse but that could be form not talking all day. No one seems to notice that. Oliver and Felicity were walking upstairs, when I looked back at them. Oliver only glanced at me and smiled a little bit before disappearing around a corner.

Barry and I went into the living room and I curled up next to him on the couch. "I wish I could have been here with you today," he says slowly. I nod, I wished the same thing. I wish he hadn't left me alone. I wanted to tell him I was scared that I couldn't handle this but I didn't, all I said was, "It's okay. I know you were busy." I feel Barry sigh underneath me, I could tell he was worried about me. "Tell me about you're day," I suggest hoping that it would take both his and my mind off of things. "I ran back to Central City today. I needed to talk some things over with my team and my boss. I told him I need vacation days, as for the team, they say they can cover things in Central City while I'm gone. Then I was helping Oliver track down Darhk, he went underground again. We aren't having much luck but I promise you with my life, we will catch him Mel." I guess I had never heard Barry angry before because this kind of scared me. His voice was colder than I had ever heard it before.

I turned to face him. Barry looked so young, and he was only 26 years old. He had his whole life in front of him. But so did I, I had just barley turned 20. I open my mouth to tell him, to tell him everything but then I close it. For some reason I didn't want to tell him what happened. The offer Darhk had made me, was my burden. Only mine. "I'm okay you know? I know you and Oliver and Roy and everyone really is worried about me, but I'm okay. I mean I'm freaked but anyone would be. I'm a strong person and it was only two days. Plus he didn't touch a hair on my head." I smile and it was a genuine smile too.

Barry and I spent a few hours curled up together watching TV, there wasn't much on so we spent most of the time talking. He made me feel better about everything that was going on in my life, telling me stories about metahumans he took down, about when Cisco got his powers and Caitlin got hers. Time travel, he did most of the talking while I just listened and laughed and felt blown away by all he had experienced and done. He didn't seem to mind that I wasn't talking much, I could tell he was enjoying sharing some of the great and hard times he had in his life and being The Flash. Our conversation got serious when he told me his mother had been killed. "I was there that night, I guess you could say I saved myself from the Reverse Flash. I also saved myself from watching my mother be killed, if he hadn't I'm worried what I would have become."

I didn't know what to tell him, "You would still be you, even if you had watched you're mother die, it would have hurt a lot, yeah. But you were raised by Joe and you had Iris, I've only known them for a little while but I already know the kind of people they are. Just like I know the kid of person you are Barry. You are strong, and kind, and gentle, and nerdy. You are amazing to be around and someone people want to be around. You are The Flash. You're a hero." I hadn't meant to give a speech when I started talking, I just wish he saw himself like I did, saw the hero I saw. I looked down at my hands a little embarrassed about what I just said. "Thank you," Barry said.

When I looked up I saw that what I had said really touched him in a way that I never thought I'd be able to touch someone. "I saw him, you know? Jason." I tense up when I hear Jason's name. "When I was running through H.I.V.E looking for you I was in the infirmary and I saw him. I know that you're hurting, that he betrayed you and I'm also guessing it was you who put him in the infirmary in the first place. I didn't tell anyone, but you can tell me what happened. You can trust me, I won't tell anyone."

I didn't realize I had been holding my breath, but I guess it doesn't surprise me when I let it out. A lump had formed in my throat, I wanted to tell him everything but what would he think? I take a deep breath and try to swallow the lump, it doesn't work out very well. "I didn't know he was a ghost until Darhk had me prisoner. I was taken out of my cell, I think so Darhk could rub it in my face. Jason had most likely told Darhk everything I had told him, his brother was there too. I had eaten earlier and they made the mistake of giving me a knife, when I saw him I couldn't contain my hurt and rage. I attacked him, I didn't use any of the skills I was taught, I just started punching him. When I remembered the knife I stabbed him, that was when I was pulled off of him. I don't feel bad, not now and not then. I just wish he hadn't done it because he was my best friend for such a long time." I had started crying sometime when I was talking, I'm not sure when.

Barry pulled me against him and let me cry into his shirt. I let everything I had been holding in about Jason out, it was a small burden but it was still lifted as I sat there in Barry's arm and cried. There was still so much things that were hurting me, confusing me, or making me angry but now there was one less. I owed a lot to Barry tonight and I knew there was nothing I could do to repay him for what he was doing for me.