Hello, old friend.

Word count: 928

Trigger: This may be very sad. Happy ending though!

Phil's story:

It has been 16 years since i lost him. Since he took his own life to protect my own. He was only 19, me only 23 and the group were threatening us with knives. I was so scared. They didn't care. They just laughed at my fear. A 23 year old man, scared of a few knives being handled by a group of thoughtless teens. Who in the right mind wouldn't be scared?

They did the most cliche thing in the world. They told us that one of us had to die, and the other would be let go. No pain. No suffering. Just let free.

I remember it all so clear. It is all burnt into my mind as if it is happening all again. I can sense the fear of the both of us. The feeling of my hands clinging to Dan's arm.

If i weren't so scared... so useless in my own fear... i would have saved him.

"He is useless! Stop standing up for the old man!" One of them snarled at Dan as the others chuckled or laughed. "He is only 23. He's a lot more grown up than any of you here! Respect your elders." I clung to Dan's arm. Half to tell him to stop, half to feel a little safer.

"Respect your elders." The teen laughed bitterly. He pointed the knife at Dan's throat."It's either you or him. Chose quickly before i chose myself." The smirk was plastered on his face. The shock of blood lust flickered through his eyes.

"Alright." Dan mumbled looking down. "Okay." He had his eyes closed and i heard him take a deep breath. He turned his head to look at me, then at the teens. "Move back to that Lamp post there. Either of us run you can take us both." Dan said with dread lingering in his tone of voice.

I knew he was going to do something... something i will never forget. The teen nodded and walked back wards not taking his eyes off Dan. He walked past the post and stopped. Stood there watching us.

"Dan..." I spoke up, my voice laced with fear. "Phil, we don't have long before he slaughters one of us. I can't let it be you..." He started. "Do you remember when we first met? How one moth later i told you how i felt. How i will always protect you no matter what?" He said. Tears started to sting in my eyes. I nodded looking down.

He grabbed my hands in his and started again. "I love you Philip Lester. I have since the first time talking to you online... the first day we met i was so happy. I knew i loved you by then. Never forget how much i truly love you Phil. Promise me that after this... you will never put yourself in danger. You will keep going for me?"

I couldn't hold them back. The tears were streaming down my face. I looked up at him, the streetlights being the only thing to allow me to see him. "I promise Dan... I promise." I sobbed my words. Dan stayed strong, tears forming in his eyes, but not falling. "Please don't leave me Dan... sort something out with them! Please... i love you Dan. You can't leave me like this." I sobbed more. Not caring about the laughter coming from far away.

Dan rummaged around in his pockets, he pulled out his wallet, our apartment keys and everything else he had. He put the things in my pockets and looked at me again. He held my face gently, forcing me to look at him. "Stay strong Phil." A single tear escaped, and rolled down his cheek.

"I love you Phil." He whispered. He kissed my forehead and let my face go. The warmth from his hands still present on my tear stained cheeks. I watched him as he walked towards them. He walked confidently, but i knew that inside... he was scared.

"Don't hurt him. Don't you dare hurt him." I heard Dan's voice in the distance. I watched them. "Is that your last wish?" The teen chuckled in amusement, obviously enjoying this. "Yes... it is."

"Very well." I stood watching and the teen moved his arm to the side. Dan stood there. "NO!" I started running over and two lads beat me to it. They grabbed me and held me back. I couldn't get to him.

I couldn't watch. I looked down as the teen took him away from me. My Dan... gone.

I can't live like this. Now you know my story... you will also understand why i want to be with him again.

I have a bottle of pills and water. I am stood at his grave. Popping open the cap i take down as many pills as i can, washing them all down with water. I sit here on the grave and leant back on the stone. I slowly felt myself fade away.

I see a bright light before me, and white pearly gates. Stood there is a tall figure, with chestnut brown hair and chocolate brown eyes.

"Welcome home Phil." I had my arms open, smiling with my dimple visible. Phil smiled and ran over hugging him tight. He was home again, where he belonged. Here in Dan's arms.

"I told you to live. You promised."

"I couldn't live without you Dan... i couldn't. I belong here with you. It was not the same without you. I missed you Dan."

"I missed you too."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

See i told you, happy ending. I will make the next one a lot happier than this one, but this is the first one i thought of to make. I hope you all enjoy the next one and the others i write. :)

~Jo