Already In Trouble With The Police

04. Already In Trouble With The Police

Turns out that Stiles' father is the town Sheriff and Bella's father is the Chief. Great. We reported finding the other half of the body to the police but Stiles' dad was suspicious as to how we happened to find and dig up half of a corpse.

"Do you mind telling me how the hell you just happened to stumble upon this girl's body?" The sheriff asked us, clearly unimpressed.

"Technically, half of her body." Stiles corrected, earning a glare from his father.

"What were you even doing out here in the middle of the night?" The sheriff growled.

Stiles froze. I could hear his heartbeat speed up. He doesn't have an excuse, I realized. I ran my mind for ideas. Me being as dumb as I am, I unthinkingly grabbed Stiles hand, lacing my fingers through his. Through my peripheral vision, I could see Stiles whip around to face me. His eyes were very wide and his heart went faster. No going back now...The sheriff raised his eyebrows, shocked at the sight of a girl touching his son, probably.

"Well, you see...we don't really see each other much at school so, uh, we snuck out for....a romantic midnight walk?" I put on a fake smile. Stiles heartbeat was still fast, but it slowed slightly in what I assumed was relief. I could feel the blush betraying my face.

"Yeah, Dad. We were out on a...romantic...walk and we saw the heap of dirt so we decided to dig it up, being adventurous and all." Stiles grinned at his dad and laughed nervously.

"Stiles..." The sheriff sighed. "Get out of here."

"Yes, Sir!" We both agreed as we ran off to join Scott who had just snuck over to talk to Derek. Derek was in the police cruiser just as the boys had hoped for. Once we were a safe distance away from the scene, Stiles and I high fived. Grins were plastered on all three of our faces.

"That was....awesome!" He shrieked, giving us all another round of high fives. "How'd you think of that? Years of experience?"

"No, I have no idea where that came from. I've never done anything like that!" I grinned. "So, what did Derek say? I asked Scott.

"He told me that if I shift on the Lacrosse field, he can't help me. He said it's up to us now to make sure I don't kill anyone." Scott answered.

"What are you going to do?" I asked Scott.

"He's not going to play." Stiles replied for him. Scott sighed. "Cheer up, buddy! Guess what? Despite randomly finding a body..." Stiles winked at me, "...we didn't get in trouble with my dad!" He grinned, putting his hand on Scott's shoulder.

"Really?" A small smile formed on Scott's face. "How?" Stiles slung his arm over my shoulder. My heart kicked up a little and I bit my lip to prevent smiling. Scott raised his eyebrow at me then turned his attention back to Stiles.

"Summer thought of a good excuse. She said we went out for a romantic midnight walk then just happened to come across a suspicious pile of dirt which contained the body and he totally bought it!" Stiles had a huge grin on his face as he said this. Scott smiled at me. I raised my hand for a high five and both boys slapped my hand. Stiles winced, obviously forgetting about my tough skin. I rolled my eyes at him, grinning.

"Okay, let's get out of here before we actually get caught." I chuckled, walking towards Stiles' Jeep. I hopped into the back seat as the boys clambered into the front. Stiles started the Jeep up and pulled out of the forest.

"Where do the Cullens actually live?" Stiles asked me.

"Deep into the woods. That way, they can do as they please without giving themselves away to humans." I responded. "By the way, you can drop me off anywhere. I can run."