A Lesson In Lying

Start from the beginning

"Why are you smirking?" Reese asked Nate then turned to Laurel, "Why is he smirking! I hate being left out!" he pouted.

"Shut up!" she snapped, "Why am I even talking to you losers." she huffed.

"Because we're friends?" Nate suggested.

"I agreed to one idiot friend. Not three." Laurel rolled her eyes. I know she doesn't mean it, she's just a tough nut to crack. This is her defense mechanism. She was a loner before me, and now I was easing her into a social life.

"Hans isn't that stupid." Reese my lovely step brother retorted, "This guy on the other hand is a complete idiot. He always high fives the cashier after he buys a new box of condoms. As if the whole world needs to know about his man-whore ways." Reese said referring to Nate.

I cringe at the very thought of people having sex. With Nate though, it's not just cringe worthy but unsettling. From the corner of my eye I catch Nate stealing a glance at me. However, I keep my fake interest on the text book.

"You're both despicable." Laurel groans slamming her head on the desk.

"No I'm actually a Gemini." Reese jokes only to be met by the spine of a book to his face. "Not cool!"

"Just like you." Laurel smirks.

"Burn!" Nate chuckled. "Excuse me sir, do you need ice for that burn or do you prefer the entire fire station?"

"Worst friends ever." Reese grumbled.

"I'm not your friend." Laurel immediately said.

"Keep telling yourself that." Nate and Reese say simultaneously.

***
"Call her." I heard voices say in the hallway. I had successfully duped the entire school all day. I actually didn't have a class during 8th period and was free.

I'm surprised Nate's planned held up this long. Usually in movies and in shows something always goes wrong. Like being exposed. But this is reality and not a cheesy teenfic.

"No way, phones are prohibited during school hours." That sounded like Nate but I wasn't exactly sure.

"Dude you skip school like it's hopscotch. You use your phone all the time to contact hookups. I don't think you care about getting caught, you're hiding Matey aren't you." A girl sneered...a girl, a monster, my future demise.

"I really don't know what you're talking about." Nate said casually.

"You're hiding her. Just lure her towards me and you won't get hurt."

"I don't know what you're talking about it!" Nate cried out. "Hey what are you- give me back my phone Big Red!"

There was shuffling sounds for awhile. Then a chuckle as Laurel mocked Nate, "Matey's name on your phone is dollface?"

"Shut up, that's her nickname and she likes it." he retorted.

No I don't....sort of

Before they could say anything my phone blared to life. Hey everybody by 5SOS filled the empty room. I shuffled pathetically trying to find it before Laurel could hear.

Obviously that plan didn't work.

"I know only one person with that ringtone. Wait a second...is that coming from Mr.Gladson's class?" Laurel asked dumbfounded before she stormed into said classroom.

I quickly ducked behind a desk. Laurel looked around and found my phone by the desk. She held it and calmly set it down.

It's a good thing I could see her and she couldn't see me-

"I can see you Matey, or should I call you Mrs.Hastings?" Laurel growled.

Panic. Okay think Matey, you're a smart girl. You've been in sticky situations before...just come up with a diversion.

"Look a flying whale!" I yelled pointing out the window.

Laurel scoffed keeping her eyes trained on me, "Yeah right, only an idiot would-"

"Where?" Nate cut her off actually looking out the window.

I sighed and got back on feet. I kept a safe distance from Laurel. Maybe I can talk her out of killing me. We're friends right now, she wouldn't kill her friend would she?

"Um listen, about yesterday...I'm sorry." I stammered nervously.

"No you're not." she countered. Well she had me there.

"Could you blame me? I know you both like each other, I was just giving you a little push." I reasoned.

"Just for the record, I did tell her to butt out." Nate interrupted, ever the opportunist to save his own skin.

"Dude, not helping!" I hissed.

"I'm not going to kill you." Laurel sighed, "But you will stay out of my business for now on. I don't know how this whole friend thing works, but I enjoy my privacy."

"So are you saying what you and Hans have is private?" Nate smirked. This idiot. I punched his chest, we were really close to leaving this room unscathed.

"I'm gonna hit you. So run...both of you." she growled.

I didn't waste anytime running away. Even tripping Nate on my way out. It's everyone for themselves.

And that was how I lived to see another day.

··························································
Not an important chapter. Just some feel good vibes before things go downhill for the gang.

If you liked this chapter click the star. If you want to be heard, comment. Stay vocal and let your presence be known.

Look how cute Dave is...okay carry on.

- R H E A