Part 21

The dwarves was securing the gate, when Aspect had lurked away inside Erebor again. She hadn't fully recovered from her injury, and needed some rest. Her wolf-ears was out, and she could hear the dwarves talk and yell to each other outside. By the camp they had set up, she found Bilbo.

"Hi, Bilbo, how are you?," she asked, sitting down besides him. He jumped and hid something in his knapsack.

"Aspect," he said before he cleared his throat. "I am fine." He looked at her and smiled.

"Good, good," she said, still a little suspicious of what he was hiding, but didn't think more of it when Bilbo continued talking.

"How are you, and not at least you and Fili?," he said, with a small, nervous laugh.

"Fine," she said, smiling. "It is a little weird. I feel so locked up and have a urge to flee, but at the same time there is no where I would rather be than right here." She looked around her. "Fili is a good person, isn't he?," Aspect asked, looking back at Bilbo, who looked confused at her.

"Yes, yes of course he is, Aspect. He can barely handle himself when he is with you, I have seen the way he looks at you," Bilbo said reassuring.

Aspect nodded. "I should not doubt that," she said. "But I just have problems... In the past I have been bad at reading people, and have gotten their signals all wrong, I am just afraid to ruin everything with him by making the wrong..." She suddenly stopped to listen to the talking outside.

The dwarves had stopped yelling to each other, and a new scent was in the air. "Something is happening outside. Come," she whispered before she stood up and ran to the balcony.

"Why do you come to gates of the King under the Mountain armed for war?," Thorin asked loud, looking down at something under them. Aspect stepped out on the balcony, and gazed over Dale. An elven army was spread through the whole city. In front of the gate to Erebor was Bard on a white horse.

"Why does the King under the Mountain fence himself in like a robber in his hole?," Bard answered.

"Perhaps it is because I'm expecting to be robbed," Thorin said, looking at Dale.

"My Lord, we have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?," Bard asked. Thorin thought for a little while before nodding. He went down the stairs, and the rest of the Company followed.

"I'm listening," Thorin said, looking through and opening in the stone wall.

"On behalf of the people of Lake-town, I ask that you honor your pledge. A share of the treasure, so that they might rebuild their lives," Bard pleaded.

"I will not treat with any man, while an armed host lies before my door," Thorin said, stone cold.

"That armed host will attack this mountain if we do not come to terms," Bard commanded.

"And your threats do not sway me," Thorin said without flinching.

"What of your conscience?," Bard asked. They both froze and looked at each other for a second. "At least give us the princess. The people need a new hope and a new start. Princess Aspect would be perfect to represent that."

Thorin turned his head quickly, looking at Aspect who was standing with the others, grabbing Fili's hand when she heard Bard's words. Thorin looked back at Bard. "Does it not tell you our cause is just? My people offered you help and in return you brought upon them only ruin and death," Thorin said blank.

"When did the men of Lake-town come to our aid but for the promise of rich reward? A bargain was struck!," Bard yelled.

"A bargain? What choice did we have but to barter our birthright for blankets and food. To ransom our future in exchange for our freedom. You call that a fair trade? Tell me, Bard the dragon-slayer, why should I honor such terms?," Thorin said, putting pressure on the last sentence.