Part 5

Aspect had fallen asleep after a while. When she woke up again, Legolas was quiet. She opened the door and peeped through the small crack she made. There, Legolas lay on the other side of the hall, sleeping quietly. Aspect quickly snuck out and closed the door quietly behind her, before she tiptoed down the hall.

Night had fallen over Mirkwood, but still there was guards by the gates. Aspect quietly ambled around in the great halls, when her stomach suddenly rumbled. She hadn't eaten in a long while, and decided to make her way down to the kitchen, hoping to find some good treats.

When she got to the kitchen, her heart skipped a beat of excitement. There, in front of her, was the largest table she had ever seen, filled with all the greens imaginable - and even meats! Aspect quickly sat down and started feasting.

Suddenly, she heard someone approaching the kitchen. "Who is there?," a strict man's voice asked. Aspect didn't get the time to hide before the man was visible in the doorframe, casting a slight light over Aspect's face. She looked shocked at him with chicken poking out of her mouth. "Aspect?"

"That is me," Aspect murmured with the meat still in her mouth. The elf looked happy and surprised at her, before he stepped closer.

"So many years have passed! Thranduil made me make all this food for your 'welcome-back-party' in a few days, but I did not think I would meet you before that!," the elf said, still standing in front of Aspect. Aspect swallowed the meat in her mouth.

"Excuse me, but I am not sure if I know you," Aspect replied carefully.

"I am Jhaan, son of Jhaartael, the old chef-cook here. We played together when we were younger - remember?," the elf said hopeful. He stepped closer and Aspect could see his light-colored, long hair and his blue eyes. "I was with you and Legolas breaking into the wine-cellar once." He laughed.

Aspect flinched by the thought of wine. "Ah, I remember!," she said smiling to Jhaan. "I hated that wine." She laughed. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I heard someone walking in here, so I had to check who it was. But since it is just you I guess its fine, the food is for you anyway - especially the meat." Jhaan shrugged.

"You said Thranduil is hosting a party... For me?," Aspect asked unsure. "Why?"

"As he said himself; 'I am so glad to have my daughter-in-law back, happy and more beautiful than ever - a reason to celebrate'," Jhaan answered, putting on a deep and slow, but excited, voice.

"Thranduil really said that?," Aspect asked surprised.

"Yes, yes he did," Jhaan said. They both got quiet. "So you are finally marrying Legolas? After all these years?" He almost sounded hurt. Aspect opened her mouth to speak, but Jhaan cut her off. "Congratulations. Legolas is a lucky guy." One could hear the sarcasm in his voice.

"No, it is not like that," Aspect declared. "I... I have not talked to Legolas. I do not know how he feels. Legolas knows I am wild by heart and soon I will be gone. Deep down inside, Thranduil does too, he just does not want to admit it."

"It is a real shame. Thranduil have rejected a lot of wives that could have been good to Legolas, hoping for your return one day, and now that you are here all you do is stab them in the back," Jhaan now sounded more angry. "Aspect, you belong here. You grew up in these halls. All you have ever learned here was to make you ready for being the queen we need, but now all you do is run away from your past. Just think about that for a little." Jhaan turned and disappeared back into the darkness.

Aspect put the chicken leg down where she had found it. She wasn't feeling hungry anymore. A weird feeling grew inside her. Was all that Jhaan said true? But why had he become so offended of it all?