Part 9

Aspect had changed to wolf and ran a shortcut, to get to Thranduil before Thorin. She stopped in front of his throne before she changed back to human. "Thranduil!," she said loud. "I want to sit guard in the prison the next days, or maybe weeks." She lit up with a bright smile.

"And why should a light, not even near to buff, girl like you sit and watch dwarves, who may be shorter than you, but has over twice the strength as you?," Thranduil asked uninterested.

"Because I am half wolf, they will never see it coming! Oh come on Thranduil, you have tried learning me the wife-stuff! You have not thought about the more soldier stuff, have you?," Aspect asked.

"You will get one chance, Aspect, and one chance only. If you ruin it, then you are back to the knitting," Thranduil commanded.

"Thank you so much!," Aspect said in delight, and was ready to run off when she saw Thorin and some guards approach.

"Come up here, Aspect. I want you to stay here for a little. Let me learn you a valuable lesson about dwarves," Thranduil said confident, nodding to the stairs in front of him. Aspect walked reluctantly up the stairs, before sitting down in front of Thranduil. She got her white wolf-ears out before sniffing into the air. A faint smell of honey and tea lurked up her nostrils, but was almost drowned and destroyed by the smell of dirt and death.

Thranduil stepped down from his throne, when he saw his guards bringing Thorin forward. Thorin didn't care about Thranduil. The first thing that caught his attention was Aspect, sitting at the top of the stairs. He sent her a death-stare. Aspect put her pointy finger over her lips, motioning hushing. "She is stunning, is she not?," Thranduil said, motioning proudly towards Aspect, who quickly acted normal, giving him a small smile.

"Yeah, beautiful," Thorin murmured sarcastic. Thranduil walked around Thorin, standing with his back against him, looking out at his kingdom. Thorin and Aspect's eyes met.

"This is a misunderstanding," Aspect mouthed towards Thorin. "Please act normal, and I will explain." But Thorin didn't look like he understood it. Then suddenly Thranduil started talking.

"Some may imagine that a noble quest is at hand. A quest to reclaim a homeland... And slay a dragon," he declared loud and mighty. "I myself suspect a more prosaic motive. Attempted burglary, or something of that ilk." Thranduil turned towards Thorin, facing him. "You have found a way in. You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule." Thranduil backed away from Thorin, still facing him. "The King's Jewel. The Arkenstone. It is precious to you beyond measure. I understand that." Thranduil got a smirk on his face, talking slowly and majestically, taking breaks between every sentence. "There are gems in the mountain that I too desire. White gems of pure starlight, just like Aspect's beautiful hair." Thranduil turned to Aspect, dragging a hand gracefully trough her hair, smiling proudly.

Aspect moved slightly away. "Can I please leave, Thranduil?," she asked politely.

"No, stay, my dear," Thranduil said, turning back to Thorin. "I offer you my help." Thranduil bowed his head.

"I am listening," Thorin answered with a smirk.

"I will let you go," Thranduil took a long break. "If you return what is mine."

"A favor for a favor," Thorin said, turning away from Thranduil.

"You have my word," Thranduil answered quickly. "One king to another."

Thorin was quiet for a little while. "I would not trust Thranduil, the great king, to honor his word. Should the end of all daysbe upon us!," Thorin got louder and louder. He suddenly turned, pointing angrily at Thranduil. "You, who lack all honor! I have seen how you treat your friends. We came to you once, starving, homeless, seeking your help. But you turned your back! You turned away from the suffering of my people, and the inferno that destroyed us!"