Chapter One: The Beginning of The End

"Only by confronting your darkest fears can you find the light."

-Shiver, 2014

YouTube Inc. Presents:

The Rise of Darkiplier: Markiplier's Descent

"...And I will see YOU in the next video! Buh bye!"

Mark waved at the little camera on his desk with a huge grin on his face. After a few seconds, he let out a huge sigh and ran his hands through his hair. Mark leaned over and switched the camera to the off position before he stood up and turned off the spotlights that illuminated his face during the recording session.

He grabbed his plush Tiny Box Tim and asked it, "Oh, my little biscuit, why did I play Five Night's at Freddy's 4 at night? I really shouldn't have done that. I mean, now I'm going to stay awake all night, thinking that giant robotic animals are going to break into my room and stuff me into a metal suit or something... Why did I just say that?! Now I'm going to be even more scared!"

The large blue eyes of the crate looked at him blankly. Mark stared at them for a second, then set the stuffed box down on the tabletop with a sigh. Finally, after thinking of his ten million subscribers who'd be dumfounded if their idol feared the dark, the YouTuber got up from his chair and swung the door of the room open, flicking off the lights as he left.

Walking down the darkened hallway, Mark thought to himself, I wonder why people fear the dark, besides of being stuffed into a metal suit by scary animatronics... There isn't anyone else here in the house anyway...

A loud sound from behind Mark snapped him out of his thoughts. He involuntarily shivered, then shook his head and swallowed down the scream he had stuck in his throat. He walked a little faster and focused on getting to the end of the hall, occasionally scanning his surroundings for any reddish-brown foxes.

The stairs to the second floor were bathed in the yellow glow of the lightbulbs he had recently attached. Mark took a step, then slowly made his way up the stairs. His bedroom was on the left of the stairs, so he only had to get there and he'd be fine.

At the top, he looked around quickly, and when he didn't see anything, he ran across the gap and shoved his door open, landing on his floor with a grunt. He pushed himself up and slammed the door shut with his foot before clambering to his feet to switch on the lights.

His room was the same as he had left it, everything in its place, and he sighed in relief. "No animatronics here! That's a relief. Welp, goodnight, me."

He tugged his pink mustache blanket back and slid underneath it, took off his glasses, and placed them on his side table. He turned on his side and switched off the lights, encasing the room in darkness. He rested his head on his Tiny Box Tim pillow and closed his eyes. Almost instantly, he fell into a terrible nightmare...

Mark's eyes fluttered open, and found himself in a small room that was entirely black. He jumped up from his position on the ground and yelled, "HOLY BALLS! Where the heck am I? This definitely isn't my bedroom..."

A voice that resembled Mark's, but deeper, resonated around the space. "Hello, Mark. This is my room. I hope you like it."

Mark stepped back and fell onto the floor in shock, then quickly looked for something to fight with, yelling "Where are you! You're going down, once I find something to hit you with!!!"

The voice laughed and replied, "If you really want to know who I am, Mark, you have to listen to me first. You must be starving. Why don't you eat something?"

A table heaped with food and cake appeared in front of the YouTuber, making him jump back into the wall. "H - how did you do that?! Are you a dream wizard?!?"

The voice sighed and explained, "This is my realm, Mark. I can do whatever I want. You, however..."

Mark looked around the room furiously. "I what, Mr. Scary Voice?? Face me like a man!"

The table with food on it vanished into a puff of black smoke, and Mark jumped back into the wall again. The voice sighed, tired with Mark's antics, and muttered, "It would be easier to just show you. Come, step into the bathroom with me."

A white door appeared on the wall right in front of Markiplier, and it swung open without a sound. Mark looked around cautiously. "Umm... Mr. Scary Voice? Are you there? I'm just going to go in there now..." When nothing else happened, he walked through it nervously.

The floor was tile, but that was the only similarity to a normal bathroom. Every wall and even the ceiling was a mirror, reflecting Mark's image around the room. As he ogled the room, the door swung shut behind him with a soft click, trapping him inside the room. Mark uttered a cry of surprise and began to search the walls for a exit. The voice laughed and faked innocence. "Oh, looks like you're stuck. At least you'll get to know me better."

The glass rippled, and Mark's reflection disappeared, only to return a few seconds later, but his eyes were red instead of brown, and his head was tilted downwards while looking up at Mark. Mark gasped and asked, "Who - who are you? What have you done to me?"

Mark's reflection shook with laughter, and in a voice that sounded like gravel, replied, "Why, I'm you, Mark. And I'm here to take back what's rightfully mine. You can kiss your ten million subscribers goodbye and say hello to this room, because that's the only thing you'll be seeing from now on, along with a couple of old friends. Now, I really must wake up now, because I have a long day ahead of me, as I'm going make your life a living hell."

As he watched the other Mark open a door and disappear somewhere else, black wisps of smoke trailed down from the ceiling and transformed into some of his worst enemies; Slenderman, Freddy Fazbear and his friends, the Crazed Butt-Stabber, and Flumpty Bumpty.

Mark pounded on the glass and yelled, "Wait! Where are you going? Don't leave me..." He broke into sobs as the glass changed to show his bedroom like someone was filming it. A loud voice taunted him, saying, "Little Markimoo is stuck? Oh no, not Mark! Good thing I'll be here instead."