» love where it wasnt supposed to be

love where it wasn't supposed to be x you work at arkham and you and jerome are a 'thing'

The long plain white hallways of Arkham where deadly silent as I navigated through them, only the sound of the medicine cart's wheels at my hand loudly squeaking filling my ears; which explains why the feeling of someone's breath down my neck surprised me. 

The weird sensation made me quickly stop in place, causing three of the medicine bottles to jump off the cart and scatter on the floor besides me, small pills creating a colorful scenery against the bland tiled floor. Turning on my heel, frustrated at whoever caused this, I came face-to-face with familiar facial features.

"Jerome." I greeted, the hint of familiarity in the scene not helping my case on ignoring him - since it was exactly like how we had first met on his first day here. "Aren't you supposed to be in your cell right now?" I playfully inquired, glancing up at the clock that read seven in the afternoon already. Their 'rec room' time was supposed to over thirty minutes ago.

"Rec time got moved an hour later, so we still have thirty minutes out." He happily explained as I bent down to pick up the stray pills, putting them to the side for disposal as I closed up the plastic medical bottle. 

"Ah." Nodding, I stood in front of the cart and started pushing it towards the infirmary again - decreasing my pace from before; Jerome trailing right behind me with his hands folded behind his back as he carefully eyed me from the corner of his eye. "Glad to hear that."

"You don't sound too glad about that." Jerome's smile dwindled at my lack of enthusiasm, as he tried searching my face for any evidence of my feelings; trying to somehow read me, even though he knew that would be hopeless in his situation due to how often he's tried.

"I-" The thought of telling him my true feelings crossed me, almost making me tell him exactly why I wasn't so 'glad' about spending more time with him. Almost. The fear of him growing angry quickly tossed those ideas out the window. "I am." I lied through my teeth, stopping in front of the door that read 'Infirmary' in big red letters. 

"What?" Just as I suspected, he caught onto my uneasiness towards the situation. I saw him glance around for security before following me into the room, carefully shutting the door behind him to not alert anyone. "This whole patient-nurse thing not working for you anymore?" He playfully asked.

"Yeah." My answer caught him off-guard, the past playful look on his face dropping at my words; a hurt expression replacing it for a second, a split second at that. "It's not." I added, turning my back to him - not wanting to see his reaction - as I started placing medicine bottles on the shelf; feeling him lingering behind me. 

"Hey, don't talk like that." He softly spoke, trying to mask his hurt emotions behind his well-known grin as he wrapped an arm around my waist and placed his head on my shoulder - having to lean down a bit due to his height. "I'll be out soon, Y/N. You know that."

"You sneaking out of here isn't the same as you being admitted out of here, Jerome." I let out a breath, putting my previous organization action on pause; enjoying one of the few moments we had to be this intimate. "It's vastly different, extremely."

I could feel him slightly nodding, lowering his eyebrows in fake thought at my words before turning his head over to me; the tip of nose brushing against the skin on my cheek. "Vastly, huh?" His grip on me loosened a bit at a sudden realization he had. "You don't think I'm sane?"

"What? Of course I do, I just don't think you're fit-" As soon as those words dripped from my lips, I was glad that he had interrupted me - stopping me from saying another idiotic thing.

"To live out there? Why? " I could feel him starting to get angry, the thought of having to deal with him being angry without any security or reinforcement while he was so close to me scared me a bit. Placing a comforting hand on his black and white striped sleeve, I saw his expression soften a bit. "Sorry." He angrily sighed. 

"It's okay." I reached over and planted a kiss on his cheek, causing him to go back to his normal cheery self at the small action. "You'll get out soon though, right?" I nervously asked, hoping that he was right on this.

"Of course." He promised.

::

does anyone know where the title is from because I love the song rn omg