SIXTEEN

Holding the flashlight tightly in my right hand, I gently pushed the barn's door open. The smell of hay greeted my nose right away.

This barn used to be the place for the cows but eventually the space became small for them. Pops built a larger barn for the animals and just used the old one to stock the hays and other farming tools.

And for his truck.

I walked inside the barn, and there was a faint light in the end of the place. Clangs of metal echoed together with a song that I never heard of.

I reached the end of the barn and there was Harry, his head almost buried in the opened hood of the truck. He was busily working on the machine and I bet he didn't even notice me.

I sat on the stool nearby. I watched Harry quietly. His tied hair was wet with sweat, same as his shirt. He had been working on Chev since yesterday and there was still no progress.

Harry finally lifted his head, and his tired face stretched to a warm grin when he saw me.

"I didn't know I have an audience," he smirked, wiping his forehead with his arms. "If I know you're here I would remove my shirt to entertain you."

I faked an annoyed face, but deep inside I couldn't help to imagine what he said. Damn. Why is he such a fucking tease?

"Grams made these for you," I told him, giving him a paper bag with a sandwich and an apple inside. "Midnight snack."

"That's really sweet. Can you hold it for a minute? I'll just wash my hands."

"Sure."

He went to the corner where there was a sink and washed his hands. He then removed his shirt, then splashed some cold water on his face.

I averted my eyes away from his body when he caught me staring at him.

Harry sat on the stool in front of me. "You love staring at me, don't you?" he asked as he wiped his face with a towel.

"Oh please," I breathed out. I gave him his snack. "Eat. You're starting to imagine things."

He took the bag from my hands, the malicious smile still plastered on his face. "Don't act like your mind is not imagining dirty things right now."

Okay true.

I decided to change the topic. "I haven't heard of this song."

"Not surprising," Harry said after taking a bite of the apple. "James Bay is not really famous yet."

"James Bay?"

"He's an indie singer. You should listen to his songs. He's really good."

I listened to the soothing voice floating in the air. "Yeah he sounds good," I agreed. I should check his album later on Spotify.

"Why are you still awake?"

I straightened on my chair. "I was supposed to write some new chapters," I began. I got really busy these past few days and I only found the time to write tonight. "But then I checked my email," I said, looking at him with my brow raised.

Harry stared at me. "And?" he asked, his eyes innocent but his lips were curled in a meaningful smile.

"Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about," I said.

"I really don't know. Enlighten me," he grinned.

I rolled my eyes. "Harry, you didn't have to write and finish the chapters for me," I muttered softly. When I opened my email earlier, there was a mail from him, which had the five remaining chapters of my story. He wrote them all.