FIFTEEN

I weakly opened my eyes, adjusting my sight to the brightness around me. The room was flooded by the rays of warm sunshine. Based on how intense the light was, I could tell that it's already past nine in the morning.

I let out a low groan as I removed the blanket from me. God, my head was pounding. I gently massaged the sides of my head with my fingers, thinking why the headache was still there despite the long sleep.

My mind took a very quick swerve to the memory lane. I frowned after remembering what happened last night. How did I end up in my mother's room?

I glanced around and I saw Dirk's laptop lying near me. There was a piece of paper on top of it.

I carried you to your room coz you fell asleep right away. Not that I don't want you in my bed, but Dirk might see you here. -H

I took the paper and shoved it in my shorts' pocket. He was right, we should be extra careful. I didn't know that I instantly dozed off last night.

I went out of the bed and washed my face. I headed downstairs, straight to the kitchen where my grandmother was currently chopping some vegetables.

"Good morning, dear," Grams smiled. "Did you sleep well?"

"I did," I beamed. I started to make myself a cup of coffee. "Is Dirk home now?"

"Not yet. He said he'll be home after lunch."

I just nodded. I was planning to visit Mom after lunch.

I took my cup of black coffee with me on the table, taking the seat beside my grandma. I took a loaf of bread from the table and spread some jam on it.

"Where's Harry?" I asked after looking around me.

Grams lifted her eyes from the tomato she was slicing, then gave me a soft smile. "With your Pops. Probably in the fields and watching over the cows."

I almost choked on the piece of bread. "He's watching the cows?"

"I bet. Harry wanted to explore around so your Pops took him under his wing. Don't worry, Jay. He'll be okay. He learns fast, and even rode Knight to the fields."

"He rode Knight?" I asked again, not believing what I just heard. Knight was the grumpiest of all the horses. He didn't like strangers.

Grams chortled softly. "I was surprised, too. It was his first time to ride a horse but he earned Knight's trust. I can't believe it."

"Wow," I mumbled. That was really impressive.

Sounds of footsteps echoed from the living room. I gasped in glee upon seeing my Aunt Beth and my cousin Emett. They live fifteen minutes away from the house and they're also our nearest neighbor.

"Jade!" Aunt Beth squealed excitedly. She pulled me into a tight hug. "I missed you! How are you, sweetheart?"

"I'm fine, Auntie," I smiled.

She smiled widely and released me from her arms. "Emett and I were out of the town yesterday and we just came back last night, that's why I wasn't in the hospital. But I am so happy that Sarah is recovering well. Things will be okay again, Jade."

"Thank you, Auntie," I replied. "Thank you for taking care of Mom when I'm not around."

"Oh, stop it. That's what families do, look after each other," she winked, then gave my forehead a kiss before approaching Grams.

Emett grinned at me and hugged me tightly, almost squeezing me.

"You're killing me," I whined.

Emett laughed and removed his arms from me. "Look at you! You're glowing!"