TWELVE

Dirk stared at our dining table, his eyes trying to calculate the amount of mess there was. "You're baking?"

I hummed my reply, my eyes not leaving the oven.

"When did you start baking?" Dirk asked as he grabbed a can of coke from the fridge.

"Today."

"What's in the oven?"

"Cupcakes," I answered while I slowly rose from my seat to open the oven and check the cupcakes. God, my butt hurts in every move but I couldn't show it.

"Don't peep or you'll get deflated cupcakes," Dirk told me.

I removed my fingers from the oven door. "What?"

He sat on the chair. "Heat comes out when you open the door. Be patient or your hard work will go to waste."

"What do you know about baking?" I asked with a slight frown on my face. Dirk hated the kitchen too much, he wouldn't even chop an onion.

"Tati loves to bake."

"Tati?"

"My girlfriend."

"I thought your girlfriend's name is Melody?"

"That's my ex. We already broke up."

I stared at him with disbelief crossing my features. "You introduced Melody to me just like, two weeks ago?"

"Yeah," he confirmed. "We didn't work out."

"When did you two break up?"

"Five days ago."

I stared at my younger brother. "Five days ago and you're already dating someone?"

"Nothing wrong with that. Tati is single. I'm single," he declared proudly.

Men.

I decided to ignore his dating shenanigans because I knew very well that he wouldn't listen to me anyway. I chose to discuss the more important thing with him.

"Dirk," I began. "School just ended. I think it's best if you'll stay with Mom the whole summer."

I pulled a serious and authoritative face, just in case he would disagree and start a debate with me. I held my breath as I waited for his response, preparing for his teenage outburst about how he would miss his girl, his friends, and the summer parties.

"Yeah, sure."

I blinked. "Come again?"

Dirk smiled. "It's my plan anyway, Jay. I'm really planning to spend my summer with Mom so I could take care of her."

My face was stretched to a wide smile. "You're serious?"

"Yup. I'm a responsible teenager, my dearest sister. I learned from you," he grinned, tapping his chest and feeling absolutely proud of himself. Well, he should be. And I am so proud.

I opened my arms wide. "Come here. Let me hug my responsible baby brother."

He pouted in disgust at first but hugged me anyway.

"I love you," I murmured to him.

"Love you too," he replied. "Release me before I cry my eyes out," he croaked, obviously fighting his tears.

I released him from my embrace. "When are you leaving?"

"Geez, sis. You're so eager to get rid of me, huh?" he snickered. "You can bring your boyfriend here even if I'm around, you know. I don't mind."