Chapter 7

"Yes, you will see me later this week. Yes, definitely. Thank you so much for this, sir. Goodbye." I could hear my father finishing up his phone call before he entered the kitchen.

He began humming a song in a cheery tone that I used to play on the piano a lot when I was younger, and I almost smiled at the sound. Almost, because I couldn't just forget about how he had yelled at me, nearly choked me and told me that it was my fault that my mother died just last night.

"You are in a good mood." I said carefully as I poured him a cup of coffee.

His previous smile was now mixed with just a hint of anger as he looked at me and grabbed the cup from the counter. "Yes, I just had a very good talk with Bower. He's going to be helping us a great deal."

"Helping us with what?" I then asked, trying not to sound nosy. I didn't know anyone by the name of Bower, so I had no idea what the good man could possibly be helping us with. Then again, something told me that whatever it was, it wasn't exactly for my benefit.

"For now that is none of your business, Katrina. However, I will be gone for a few days. I presume you know better than to discuss my absence with anyone." I simply nodded. Of course I knew better. I didn't have a death wish. "And cover that up." He then demanded, waving his hand dismissively in the direction of my upper body.

I thought that he meant that my attire was too revealing, until I glanced into the mirror on the wall and spotted just how bruised my neck was. I couldn't believe how my father could point that out to me without a single hint of remorse.

I put the coffee pot back down on the counter and quickly made my way up to my room. "I miss you, mom." I sighed as I glanced at her picture on my wall.

With another deep sigh, I opened up the drawer of my dresser and looked around blankly for something that could cover up my neck. It was honestly too hot out for a turtleneck sweater, it being the middle of summer and all, so a thin satin scarf would have to do.

Once I was ready, I quickly made my way down to the community center. "Good morning, Katrina." My boss Jared greeted me the second I walked in. "Feeling better, are you?" He asked.

I nodded and smiled. "I sure do." I told him. I absolutely hated having to lie though. But I honestly didn't have a choice.

"Well that's good. I'm sure you know what to do."

I gave Jared another nod, which earned me an approving smile in return. Today was Tuesday... activities with the elderly people from the home nearby. As I walked into the cafeteria, the group and their chaperones were already there. And most surprising of all, the guys were with them. Like in a participating manner.

It was beyond amusing to me to see someone as intimidating as Andy playing cards with two elderly men, well in their eighties. My amusement peaked even higher when I saw the tall, lanky, tattooed Mike playing chess with another, much older man. And at the biggest table were Kellin and Josh helping a big group of elderly ladies with their knitting.

They all actually looked kind of adorable like this. Not intimidating in the least. Certainly not very criminal-like. I mean they even seemed to be enjoying themselves!

I wondered where Oliver was though. I didn't see him anywhere.

But that thought was quickly pushed away when music started playing and several of the elderly people and their chaperones started dancing in the middle of the cafeteria. Soon enough, one of them pulled me in, and I was basically forced to dance. But I didn't mind much, it was pretty entertaining.

I didn't see Oliver at the community center that entire day though. I wanted to ask the others about it, but I didn't really get the chance to. Though I probably shouldn't really be asking them about it anyways.

"Looking for someone?" Andy asked with a slight smirk etched onto his face, suddenly standing way too close to me for my own liking.

"No, not at all." I quickly replied, taking a step back.

Obviously I wasn't being very subtle in my constant search for Oliver. I wasn't even sure why I had become so eager to see him every day. But I knew that I felt a sense of disappointment when I didn't.

Wouldn't he get in trouble though if he didn't show up?

Or maybe he already got into trouble?

Oh god, what if they sent him back to prison?

I walked out of the community center after my shift was done and everyone was allowed to leave. Kellin and Mike got picked up by Vic, as per usual. Andy disappeared somewhere down the street and Josh hopped on his bike and bolted off. All basically without a single word.

I folded my arms over my chest and began walking in my usual direction back home. I had learned by now that looking at people around here could set them off, so I mostly kept my eyes fixed on the ground, unless I had to cross the street.

Just as I walked around the corner of a building, I was abruptly stopped by someone's chest crashing into my face. I jumped back, mumbling an apology and afraid to look up.

"Still bumping into people, I see?" The now familiar voice that belonged to Oliver said with an amused chuckle.

I could feel my heart skip a few beats out of relief. I looked up at him and finally smiled once I saw him smiling too. "Bad habit." I spoke softly.

But the smile on my face faded once I saw what shape he was in. He had a black eye and quite an apparent cut on his right cheek. "What happened to you?" I gasped, with perhaps a little too much worry laced in my voice.

"Oh, this?" Oliver asked, reaching his hand up to his cheek. "Some cunt wanted to buy some stuff off me, but he didn't have enough money on him so I said no. He didn't take no for an answer so he jumped me." He explained casually, like it was an every day thing.

Then again, it probably was.

"Don't worry about it, love. I've been through worse." He then said with a smirk playing at the corners of his lips.

I could feel my cheeks heat up already. Did he have any idea what that smirk of his did to me?

"W-Was that why you weren't at the community center today?" I asked him, trying not to stumble over my words.

He nodded a little. "Yeah, wasn't quite feeling up to it. I've got to go now though, sorry. I'll see you tomorrow, alright love?"

This was my turn to nod. Oliver then gave me a quick smile and walked off behind me. Just as I was about to continue walking, he spoke again. "Wait, hold on." He called out.

I frowned questioningly and turned towards him, watching as he jogged back up to me. "There's this party later this week in the flat where I live. Would you like to join me?"

Did he just ask me out?

No wait, of course he didn't. It was just a party. And probably not the kind that I was used to attending.

"I don't know, Oliver." I murmured thoughtfully, going through all the scenes of sketchy people getting drunk and doing drugs. Call me prejudiced, but that's the kind of people I assumed he'd associate with.

"Come on love, it'll be fun, I promise."

His smile was enough to convince me into saying yes, but deep down I knew I couldn't go. My father would have me killed if he found out that I sneaked out to party with a bunch of delinquents. If that news got out to the rest of the valley, we'd be in so much trouble.

However, I admit that I did want to go though. I liked the opportunity of spending time with Oliver outside our usual routine and maybe get to know him a bit better. He honestly wasn't as bad as I made him out to be at first.