Chapter 6

sooo sorry about my crappy amount of updating. college work has been taking up most of my time, and now I'm at my mum's who hardly gives me time to write either. ugh. on a positive note... I JUST GOT A BRING ME THE HORIZON TATTOO yesss <3

---------------

I was engulfed in a tight embrace once my father and I made it into the Bostwick mansion and went our separate ways. "Oh Katrina, darling, how nice to see you! How have you been doing since the tragic accident?"

"I've been alright, thank you for asking Mrs. Bostwick." I spoke quietly, giving her a kind smile as she let go of me again. And that was quite literally all she was going to say to me that day. It's how it always went... she'd come to greet you, then basically just ignore your presence... unless you were an attractive, young, blonde male about half her age. Only those were really worth her attention, so it seemed.

Mr. Bostwick knew all about his wife's little affairs of course. Honestly I believed they were just married for convenience, not for love. Something told me that not all four... oh wait; five of the Bostwick children were not all from Mr. Bostwick. It's how it went a lot around here actually, the marriage part that is.

My mother and father were married out of love. Though these days I'm convinced that perhaps the love in their marriage was one-sided and my father was merely out for money.

"Miss Winters?" Someone called out behind me.

I turned around, not recognizing who had just spoken my name, and looked at the blonde, curly haired man curiously as he approached me. "Miss Winters?" He asked again for clarification.

I nodded slowly. "Just call me Katrina." I insisted, earning a bright smile from the man in front of me. He had bright blue eyes, quite a sharp jawline and surprisingly... a nose ring.

"Nice to finally meet you, Katrina. My name is Jamie. Can I offer you a glass of wine?" He asked kindly. Although his kindness seemed just a bit forced.

"No, thank you, I'd rather not."

Jamie frowned as he looked at me. "Something stronger, perhaps?" He piped up.

I shook my head, declining again. "I'd really rather not."

He started looking a bit annoyed now, and though I had never seen him before, I was already sure that I didn't enjoy his company. Not one bit. "Well there must be something you would like." He insisted, a little firmly. He almost reminded me of my father.

"Katrina! Hello!" A cheery voice beamed, and I knew right away who it was. "Can I borrow you for a second?" Her two hands grabbed my shoulders and immediately started dragging me away, out to the back yard.

"Thanks for saving me, Kailey." I chuckled lightly as we both sat down on a bench in the sun.

"Yeah, well, seemed like you needed it. Jamie is kind of a creep, though totally my mother's type, if you ask me." She pointed out with a shrug. This was Kailey Bostwick; the eldest of the Bostwick children and the only person around here that I could tolerate. We weren't exactly friends, but like I said, she was tolerable.

"You've been out of the valley a lot lately, I've hardly seen you around. I've heard rumors, of course, but who knows what parts of it are true. So what's going on, Katrina?" She then asked, turning on the nosey not-so-tolerable part of herself.

But for some reason I felt curious. "I met your brother." I told her simply, awaiting what reaction that would get out of her.

She snorted. "Of course you have; this isn't the first time you're here. Annoying little brat, isn't he?"

I frowned and shook my head. "No, I mean Kellin."

Her eyes went wide as she stared at me. She then frantically started looking around for a minute and faced me again, leaving only inches between our faces. "You met Kellin? How? When? Where? Is he okay?" She blurted out in a harsh whisper. Her questioning eyes flew around my face, awaiting answers, or wondering whether I was perhaps lying.

Might as well tell her, I guess. I wasn't expecting this reaction out of her, but since she wanted to know if he was okay, I assumed she cared and I could tell her.

"I met him at the community center where I work. He's there almost every day. How come I didn't know that you had a brother who was disowned?"

Kailey shook her head and sighed. "We're not allowed to talk about him, we're supposed to pretend he never existed. But he's my little brother you know? Despite what happened, I love him."

I wondered if Kellin knew that.

"Hold on, you said you met him at a community center... where you work?"

I chuckled nervously at her incredulous tone and nodded, earning a 'please elaborate' kind of look from her. I sighed and frowned as I quickly thought about it. Should I tell her? Was that a good idea? If my father found out that I told someone...

"We don't have any money." I blurted out in a small voice. Kailey's eyes widened again. "After my mother died, all the family fortune went with her. I'm the only one written in her will, but its not to be carried out until I'm 25. My father made me get a job so he can keep up the whole being rich charade."

Kailey looked around her again for a moment, as if she was making sure that no one else was close enough to hear our conversation. Quite frankly, I kind of appreciated that. "Does your father not know that there's loopholes for those sorts of arrangements?" She then quietly asked.

I frowned and shook my head. A loophole? What loophole?

"The age requirement gets cancelled out when you are or get married."

This time it were my eyes that widened in shock. I dearly hoped my father wasn't aware of this loophole, or he would surely force me into marrying someone I didn't even like. He was desperate enough for the money. I mean, we were talking about near billions here.

We quickly dropped that side of the conversation though. Kailey must've noticed that it made me a little anxious. She eventually started asking about Kellin, so I told her everything I knew.

"I'm so glad to hear that he's still with Victor. He is such a nice boy. I can't believe that Kellin got himself into that much trouble though, and yet at the same time, I'm not even surprised. He was always a bit rebellious, pulling little stunts on our parents to tick them off. But he was always super protective over me and the others."

I could tell by the way that she talked about him that she really did care. And for some reason I was glad about that. Though Kellin's demeanor somewhat scared me, Kailey made him sound like a really nice guy.

I still couldn't quite understand how the Bostwicks were capable of disowning their own son though. And only because he fell in love with someone who didn't have money or status. Not even counting the fact that it was a boy he fell in love with... that was merely extra fuel that added to the already burning fire.

I wondered if my own mother was capable of doing such a thing. Let's say, as a crazy example, I would end up dating someone like... oh I don't know, Oliver, maybe? Would she have had the heart to disown me?

Then again, if she were still alive I would never have met Oliver in the first place. And dating him was a ridiculous idea. Sure he was somewhat charming... even quite attractive, despite the overabundance of art on his skin. Which I had to admit made him just that more attractive.

God, what was I even thinking?

My mother may not be capable of disowning me, but she would surely turn around in her grave tenfold if she knew that I had taken a liking in basically a drug dealing criminal.

Hold on, did I just admit that I liked Oliver?