Sixteen- despair

Rapunzel just sat there, cradling Jack's body in her arms as she cried. Merida and Hiccup flew over, Merida practically leapt off Toothless, her eyes on Pitch. "You!" She spat. She fired an arrow at Pitch. Pitch didn't have to move, the arrow was disintegrated by one of his nightmares.

"Jack! Oh, no." Hiccup breathed, staring at the two of them. Toothless bristled angrily at Pitch, a low growl emanating from its throat. "I'll kill you!" Merida shouted, aiming another arrow.

"I'd like to see you try." Pitch chuckled. "Aren't you the least bit worried about your little friend here?" A nightmare sphere cage appeared beside him, encased inside, trapped inside his own nightmares, was Flynn Rider.

Merida cursed loudly in Scottish. "Let him go!" She yelled.

"Hmm, no. His fear is quite satisfying for me." Pitch sneered as Flynn murmured in his sleep. "If you even manage to harm me, I'll make sure he suffers the consequences." An arrowhead of black sand materialised, poised over Flynn's heart.

Merida clenched her fist angrily. Hiccup stepped forward, placing a hand on her shoulder. "It's no use." He whispered. In a louder voice, he added, "We surrender. What do you want, Pitch?"

"What do I want?" Pitch laughed. "Dragon tamer, you should know what I want by now. I want-no, I live, for fear! Despair!" He said. "I'd like nothing more than to plunge you all into nightmares of your own...live out your greatest fears, just like little Rapunzel there."

"But. I'm willing to make a deal with you, since you agree to surrender." Pitch said. "Only one out of the both of you. Choose."

Merida opened her mouth, about to protest, but Hiccup stopped her.

With a kiss. When he pulled away, she was shocked to the core as he mouthed out two words.

I'm sorry.

Then the black sand enveloped him completely. "NO!!" Merida screamed. The black sand fell away, and he slumped to the ground. "HICCUP!!" She screamed, shaking him. "Hic, wake up! Wake up!" She glared at Pitch. "What did you do to him?!"

"What the boy chose to do." Pitch said. "A life of nightmares, so you could go free."

"No...no! Hiccup Horrendous Haddock, how dare you?!" She cried. "Don't you dare leave me! Hiccup!!"

Toothless seemed to have caught on to what had happened, and it was furious. It roared angrily, all of its teeth out. It looked ready to tear Pitch to pieces. "No." Rapunzel said quietly. "If you do anything, he'll kill them both." Toothless growled, but it didn't pounce.

She looked down at Jack's face. "Flower, gleam and glow..." She sang softly. "Let your power shine, make the clock reverse...bring back what once was mine...heal what has been hurt, change the fate's design...save what has been lost...." Her voice cracked. "Bring back what once was mine." She sang, her voice barely a whisper. A tear dropped down on Jack's face.