chapter nine

Street flicked his cigarette on the ground before walking to the car that was parked on the curb in front of him. He opened the passenger side door and got in. His face was grimace but that didn't faze the driver.

"Where to, Boss?" Street tried to joke.

The driver wasn't amused by that either. "We need to talk."

"Sure thing," Street said. "But I already knew about that incident at your little office."

Tamel looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "How you know that?"

"It's all over the wire," Street informed. "I should be booking you and taking you down to the station right now but that's not my jurisdiction."

Tamel nodded. "Yeah, I guess not. So what's the word?"

"That your office was shot to shit and your receptionist caught one in the head," Street reported. "So far the head brasses thinks it was a revenge hit since word got around you're the new king of Gotham. But other than that they just waiting to bring you in for questioning."

Tamel blinked hard. "Is that all?"

"Nothing much else to tell," Street said. "At least not on my end. Like I said that was just wire chat. So what did happen?"

"Misunderstanding," Tamel mused.

Street laughed. "I bet. Well there is a whole lot of misunderstandings going on with that little stunt you pulled with the fire alarm. Tenants in the building I heard are pissed off at the individual that did it."

"All sounds good," Tamel said looking out the back window for a minute then back at Street.

"But that's not why you called me down here," Street said. "So what is it?"

"We got a problem," Tamel informed.

"Not the great Drama," Street teased then had a small laugh.

"Wipe that stupid smile off your face," Tamel warned. "My problem is your problem being that now I am your supplier."

Street's face became serious again.

"Better," Tamel continued. "Like I said we have a problem and since my problems are yours, it is something we are going to have to deal with immediately since our problem just sent its' best henchmen to kill me."

Tamel caught the glimmer in Street's eye when he said that remark.

"Be forewarned, if I go, so does your other side business," Tamel cautioned. "You think I haven't taken every precaution to make sure my enemies don't get at me and take what I have built."

"But you didn't build shit," Street reminded. "You took it from someone else."

"That is why I make sure I have taken the necessary steps to make sure it is repeated by someone that may think they are just a little bit smarter than me," Tamel stated.

Street snickered.

"I know you hate dealing with me," Tamel admitted. "Truth is I hate dealing with you just the same. I mean you did try to set us up and get us either killed or locked up in the process. But I can't dwell on that now. This is business and unfortunately business detects feelings. So I will keep my bitterness and bile at the sight of you and you will do the same until this business arrangement no longer suit us."

"So what is this about," Street knew Tamel was trying to hint at something.

"I am being hunted by the same rival that was once your former boss' rival and was once my former boss," Tamel confided. "Lady Gayle, ever heard of her?"