Epilogue

Epilogue

Your POV

Day of the Dead Celebration

"Come on!", I yell excitedly. "Let's go!"

"The celebration's not going anywhere", Normani chuckles.

I roll my eyes and keep going. She doesn't understand my excitement just yet. But she will soon enough.

We just got off Bart at 24th and Missions. The parade isn't until later in the night, so we have plenty of time to get ready. So, the first place I take them is my favorite bakery to get some pan de muerto. Miraculously, no one else is inside when we get there, so it doesn't take long to make our selections and pay for them.

"Oh my God", Dinah exclaims as she takes a bite while walking out of the shop. "This is amazing."

"Right?", I answer. "It's probably my favorite bread of all time."

Dinah shoves the rest in her mouth and chews. I make a face and take a small bite of mine. A pastry like this should be savored, and that's what I intend to do.

I lead the girls down the street as we chew our pan de muerto. I point out to them some favorite stores of mine and restaurants I enjoy. Then I take them to Raul's, where we'll be having dinner. His family goes all out for Day of The Dead, and I've spent every celebration with them for the last five years. It's my favorite part of the year.

When we get to Raul's house, the smell of carne asada hits me right away. I stop and slowly inhale the scent, and Normani bumps into me, nearly ruining the moment.

"Move it, girl", she demands. "I'm hungry."

"Shhh." I try to cover her face with my hand."I'm indulging."

"Whatever." She shoves me out of the way and walks past me, prompting me to follow. Raul's mom is standing in the yard.

"There you are!", she exclaims as she sees me. "I was wondering what to do with all this carne asada!"

"The answer to that question is always the same", I tell her. "Give it all to me."

"What if I want some?", Camila asks.

"Tough shit."

"Language!", Ally scolds.

"Sorry", I apologize. Then I introduce her to Raul's mom. As they speak, Raul comes out onto the porch. I let Ally introduce the rest of the girls and walk over to him.

"Feliz Dia de Los Muertos", I greet.

"Feliz Dia de Los Muertos", he returns. In his hands are two styrofoam cups, and he gives me one.

"This better be champurrado", I say.

"Don't worry, it is."

"Hell yeah!" I pump my fist a couple of times before taking a sip of the heavenly drink. It's hot, but not so hot I burn my tongue. I take small sips, though, just to be cautious.

"So, how have you been?", he asks.

"Been good", I answer. "You."

"I finally talked to that guy."

"How did it go?"

"Good. I'm meeting him later tonight."

"Don't fuck it up", I smirk.

"Shut up", he says, nudging me in the process. "You're supposed to encourage me."

"I am encouraging you. By telling you not to fuck it up."