Chapter 29

Chapter 29

 Your POV

 A Couple of Weeks Later

 My alarm goes off at six thirty a.m., and I couldn't be more annoyed. After all, I just got in the habit of actually having a decent sleep.

 But today's the first day of the school year. And I have to get up now.

 So I turn off my stupid alarm and grudgingly get up. I know that Dinah and Camila won't get up until after I shower, and since they're my ride, I've gotta do this quick. As usual, it only takes me a few minutes to shower. I decide not to dry my hair all the way through this time; I only dry it halfway after I get dressed. Then I go to the kitchen to grab my stuff and wait for Camila and Dinah.

 Now, I usually don't eat breakfast before I go to school. Actually, before coming here, I'd barely eaten at all. If there was ever any kind of food in the house at the time, I tried to keep the other kids fed. It wasn't easy. You know how doctors and health teachers always talk about the effects of not eating on the body? Fatigue, dizziness, all that stuff? They're not kidding. I got that a lot. It sucked, but I had to take care of really young kids because our so-called foster parents had no responsibility. Eventually, I had to learn how to function on little food.

 But today, there's a full breakfast waiting for me and the others.

 "Come on, Y/N, hurry up, Camila and Dinah should be ready soon", Ally ushers. She's setting the last of what she cooked on the table and trying to get her own stuff ready. Ally, along with Lauren and Mani, started classes the week before.

  "Are they even up yet?", I ask as I sit at the table and begin filling my plate.

 "Yes, actually", she responds. "One of them's getting dressed and they other's doing their hair."

 "Yet you don't know which is which." I take a bite of toast.

 "It's probably Dinah who's doing her hair."

 I nod and chew on the dry toast. By the time everyone else comes out to the table, I'm half done. When they all finish, I've been waiting for a little while, choosing to pass the time by watching Donald Glover's stand-up special on Netflix.

 "Alright, Y/L/N, shut it down", Dinah tells me as she stands in front of the screen. "We gotta get goin'."

 "I can't", I reply.

 "And why not?"

 "You're blocking the screen."

 Her smirks falls as she realizes this. Then she steps out of the way, and I get out of Netflix.

 "We're heading out", I shout to Ally.

 "Have a good first day!", she calls back before we exit the door.

 "Yeah, that'll happen", I mumble sarcastically. I personally hate school.

 Dinah gets in the driver's seat, and Camila takes shotgun, leaving the backseat for me. The second Dinah turns the key in the ignition, Beyonce starts playing full blast.

 "Could you turn that down?", I ask/shout over the music. "This is too loud."

 "Sure", Dinah says, but only barely turns it down.

 "That didn't help."

 "Well, suck it up, 'cause I'm the driver."

 I press the back of my head into the headrest and groan.

 ***

 Thankfully for my eardrums, we reach the school in a short amount of time. Many of the parking spaces are taken, but Dinah still manages to get a decent spot. Once we exit the car, they both offer to walk in with me and show me where all my classes are.