Chapter Twenty: Lazy Sunday Afternoon

TWO WEEKS LATER

CHRIS

"Chris do you want salted or sweet popcorn?"

"Err sweet will do love."

I turned back to the TV as I scanned through Netflix trying to find a film for the two of us to watch on this lazy Sunday afternoon. Being lazy people between the two of us we must have watched almost every film and TV show available which meant we needed to get lives outside the apartment. I sighed in defeat and turned Netflix off, it looked like we'd have to go old school and choose a DVD from our joint selection. Turns out we both liked different genres so our film collection was extensive, but this made choosing a movie to watch together quite hard.

I think I was busying myself with the movie selection to calm my nerves for the bigger thing I was going to do today. The guys had come over earlier to help me set up cameras and microphones around the living room to capture the moment, the moment I asked Rachel to marry me and spend the rest of her life with me. I bought the ring a week ago with the help of Phil because PJ and Dan could be immature in nice places sometimes; they all approved and didn't think I was crazy. The three of them loved Rachel like a sister and they admitted that if I was happy with her and she was happy with me then they wouldn't stop us from being happy together.

I needed to find the right moment. But that was harder than I first expected, movies and TV made proposing look easy and magical when in reality it was bloody stressful. Maybe I should just come out and ask when it felt natural; Rachel wasn't the type of girl who wanted hype and suspense. Would she say yes? I hadn't really planned what would happen if she said no.

"Here's the popcorn Chris, are you still choosing the film?"

I jumped back slightly at the sound of her angelic voice behind me, I glanced over my shoulder and smiled as she made herself comfortable on the sofa. She was beautiful when she didn't wear makeup, her hair was up in a messy bun and she was wearing one of my jumpers which swamped her with a pair of sweats because to quote her 'I know I don't need to dress up to impress you Chris because you love me for me and that's why I'm never letting you go'. Those words made me think that she wouldn't say no if I proposed.

"Yeah, we're probably the worst people to watch films with because we can never decide."

"That makes us unique."

I felt some popcorn hit the back of my head and slip down the back of my shirt causing me to shiver. Rachel laughed and nearly dropped the bowl of popcorn all over herself.

"Oh now you're going to get it."

Her eyes widened as I stood up and lunged at her before pinning her to the sofa, she squealed and dropped the popcorn causing the bowl to hit the carpet.

"Get off me fat ass."

"I'm you're fat ass though Rachel."

I bent my head and captured her lips; she wrapped her arms around my shoulders before deepening the kiss. It looked like the movie was forgotten for now. After a couple of minutes Rachel pulls back and sighs.

"You're my fat ass Chris. I love moments like these when it's just the two of us alone, no YouTube controlling us."

A huge smile creeped onto my face.

"I feel the same way Rachel; I could stay like this forever. Just the two of us and maybe a kid in the future."

The last part just slipped out and Rachel's face became unreadable as she shuffled from beneath me so that she was sitting up. I chewed my lip while mentally slapping myself for letting something that should have stayed in my head out of my mouth. What if this ruined our relationship? What if Rachel didn't want kids? This was something we'd never discussed before.