Making his way through the tunnels that took them deeper into the mine Liam could feel her skin pulsating every time it touched his own bare flesh.  Liam recalled one of his dad’s lessons when he tried to explain the way of life for his kind.  He had told him that when two lyrics were in close proximity that their energies drew off of each other, purifying into one stronger energy source and forming an inner connection. 

This has to be what he was feeling with Hope, Liam mused.  The joining of their energies, which was another good reason he needed to stay away from her after the night is over.  It was hard enough hiding him self, he sure as hell didn’t need someone as naïve as the girl in his arms to look after too. 

Finally reaching the back of the mine Liam carefully laid Hope against the wall.  She sank to the ground instantly and held up her hands when Liam started to walk away.

“Please” she cried out when stepped away from her, “Please stay”.

He turned around and standing over Hope, Liam felt that bitter squeeze of his chest again.  She sounded so helpless and he didn’t want to be affected by her in the least but there was something in her voice, something in the tone that reached out to him and did him in.

Before he could stop himself, Liam kneeled by Hope and grabbed her hand trying desperately to ignore the waves of energy arcing violently between them.  “Sshh” he mumbled awkwardly.  He gave her hand a little squeeze and added “try and relax while I look for some light, okay?” The words came out gruffer than he would have liked but dang it, she made him feel things he wasn’t use to feeling. 

Most of his life it had been just him and his dad.  Liam’s mother was taken from them by the Special Forces when he was a little boy.  She was captured on what was supposed to be a simple trip to the grocery store.  His dad did the best he could to keep them out of the clutches of the Special Forces but sometimes it just wasn't enough.  It was a continuous game of hide and seek and it was never safe enough for him to attempt to build relationships with others.  He was an outsider, a loner and what was more than that was the fact he liked his solitary life being that way.   

Her hand relaxed but she didn’t speak.  Liam took her lack of an answer as the go ahead to search for the candle that he remembered his dad had leaving behind.  Standing up he headed to the very back wall of the mine.  If his memory served him well, then the candle should be located somewhere in the corner on the right.

“Dammit” Liam cursed when he stumbled blindly over a stone in the pitch black of the dark.  Luckily he was able to catch himself on the back wall before he took a painful face plant into the dirt floor.

When he steadied himself he used his fingers to feel down the wall of the mine until he reached the bottom and there it was, just as he had thought.  “Got it” he said and turned back towards Hope. 

His eyes widened to the size of saucers at the scene that was laid out in front of him.  Her skin was glowing different shades of reds and blues setting off a rainbow like glow in the mine.  He knew this was part of it, his dad told him about the process but he never imagined it looking like this.  It was the most beautiful sight that he had ever seen.  She was beautiful with the colors of the energy coming to life within her.