Chapter 23

"Alright. Who the hell would kill at this hour? I wanna sleep!" Mitch said, yawning as he entered the room. He looked at the body of Ian with a dismissive glance. His furry friend, who had just entered after him, let out a girly squeal.

"Again?" Jerome cried out.

"Guess so. Lets investigate." Zek said. The group nodded, and set to work. Amethyst looked at the body. His skin was warm, but that was probably because of the fire. The blood on his face went up to the top of his nose, and made a rough circle, including the parts on the floor. She could see no visible stab wounds anywhere on his body.

"Glasses." She said softly, deciding what to look at next. She shuffled past Dan, who was looking at some books, and picked up the shades.

There was a dent right in the middle, between the eyes, and on the right side it was almost broken. Apart from that, there was nothing that unusual about them.

"Argh, there's no evidence!" Amethyst cried in annoyance.

"Yeah, killing at night when everyone's asleep is a pretty good idea." Mitch said. Everyone stared at him.

"Its true. Works great in Hunger Games, just when their going to sleep, slash! and everything's yours!" He said, making a slashing motion as he said the words. Jerome copied him, smiling.

"Jerome's just like a dog to Mitch. He just does as he says, its ridiculous." Dan said to Amethyst.

"Yeah." She said, but she wasn't listening. She was just staring at Ian's corpse, maybe hoping it would come back to life, and tell them who the murderer was. Or maybe this was a dream and she woke up. Maybe all of this, all of the killing and death was just one huge nightmare.

"That's enough Investigation Time. Will everyone gather in the lift at the end of the hall to go to the Mansion Trial!"