Chapter 4

Hwnt was tied by the arms to a rope, which was suspended from a metal bar. It looked like the sort of thing butchers would use for meat. The sleeves of his shirt had been ripped off, on his wrists were cuts, still bleeding, and his shirt was stained pink, and Amethyst didn't want to see what was under it. Strangely, the darkwood counters were clean, not even scratched. It was as if Hwnt had just let himself be killed. After a few minutes, everyone else came in, many matching Amethyst's reaction. Adam and Ian had stayed, probably because they had seen it once before.

"Oh my gosh!" Amy gasped.

"Someone... someone actually..." stuttered Seto.

"Murdered Hwnt? Yes, get over it." Said a voice. Everyone whirled round to see Herobrine, his arms folded across his chest and leaning up against the doorframe.

"I'm sorry, it's just not everyone is used to seeing dead bodies." Seto growled. A purple aura shone around him. Jerome put a hand on his shoulder.

"Come on Seto, let's look for clues." Jerome said, his voice clear of expression. Seto gave Jerome a smile before searching the kitchen. Amethyst narrowed her eyes. She remembered yesterday when she saw him sneaking off. Was that what he was doing? She decided to bring it up at the trail, but Jerome was the most suspicious person here for her. She looked round at the kitchen again, deciding to check the cupboards.

In the first one was food like bread, cookies and cake, but nothing that could be used for murder. The next one had different cooked meat in it, and the one next to it had raw meat (probably to avoid the risk of cross-contamination). The third one just had apples and melons in it. However, in the oven she found a small piece of cloth. It was dark grey with ash from the oven, and the edges of it were singed, but there was definitely pink on it. She pocketed it, looked in the fourth one and cried out.

In this one, hidden behind some wheat stacks, was a bloodied knife.

Amethyst heard someone rush over and looked round to see Squid. His face turned pale as he saw the knife.

"I'll take that up to the hearing." He said. He took it from inside the cupboard, wiped it clean with a cloth and put it in a bag.

"Herobrine gave us each one. Thoughtful of him." Squid said when he noticed Amethyst staring at his bag. Amethyst walked over to Herobrine.

"Can I have my bag?" She asked.

"What's the magic word?" Herobrine asked in a sing-song voice.

"Abracadabra. Please can I have my bag?" Amethyst asked. She was pretty sure that if Herobrine had pupils, he would have rolled them. He reached into his bag and gave her one. It was a small satchel that was grey with dark grey stripes, like her outfit, and purple lining. On the clasp was the word 'Amethyst' in fancy writing with purple thread. It looked very well made.

"Thanks." Amethyst said, remembering her manners. She put the cloth into the bag.

"That's enough Investigation Time. Will everyone gather in the lift at the end of the hall to go to the Mansion Trial!"