The Vamp's Girl [14]

Start from the beginning

“Why not? Knight D!” I heard a large high pitched whine, I ventured over and saw Knight D lounging in a chair as the girl in front of him looked like she was about to cry. Poor thing…I wonder why she looked like she was going to cry. There was an unreadable look in his eyes and he smirked, looking like he was happy that she was practically begging at his feet. My eyebrows furrowed, Knight D was such a gentleman…so why was he acting like a jerk now?

“I cannot accept.” He simply said, I was taken back. Why in the world would he not want to accept?

“Could you make an exception for me?” She questioned with hope glistening in her eye.

“No.” He simply stated, I looked at his box. It was empty, the girl clutched her clip and ran off. I can’t believe there was still a line of people attempting when he was being so cold. I fanned my face with my hand it was getting kind of hot in here, I pushed my way through and exited the hall. Perhaps I’d just lay low until it was over. I aimlessly wandered around the castle until I found myself in the gardens, I saw Nama Lily picking flowers in the garden. I walked over to her, she stood up and cutely bowed to me.

“Hello.” I said, leaning down to her height.

“Good sun, Lady April.” She said, her cheeks flushing a slight peach colour. I quickly fixed her pigtails and petted her head.

“Whatcha doing?” I asked, she held out a basket, she was collecting weird looking pale flowers.

“They are for tonight’s feast.” She said shyly, I nodded. It must be another special dinner thing.

“Do you have a clip to give to someone?” I asked her and she shook her head.

“It’s not time for me to give those yet. They’re for big girls, like you.”

“Aw, you’re so cute. If it was a tradition to give you a clip. I would.” I said, she smiled and I just wanted to pinch her cheeks, then I looked down at my wrist and saw the multicolour beaded bracelet I’d strung together from left over bits from making clips. I took it off and held it out to her, her violet eyes widened and she shook her head vigorously.

“As a sign of my affection, on blessing day I present you Nama Lily with this…symbol of friendship and…happiness.” I changed the original blessing a little to fit my purpose and Lily stared at me, I winked at her. “It’ll be the beginning to a new tradition. Will you accept?”

She reluctantly pulled out her hand and I slipped the beaded bracelet onto her hand. She admired it as she held her arm up watching it sparkle, within a blink of the eye, she wrapped her arm around me and I pulled her into a hug.

“This is a promise between you and me. Okay?” I said.

“Okay Lady April. It is a promise.” She said blushing, I stood up and she got back to work picking the flowers.

I walked around the garden some more and came to a swinging seat under some trees, I sat down and began to swing enjoying the time by myself. I didn’t realise I’d been swinging until it was late afternoon, I stared up at the light streaming through the trees above me.

“You like to disappear.” I looked up as Keilor waked towards me, I shrugged my shoulders.

“I don’t like attention.” I commented as he stood behind me, pushing me slightly. “You seem to get a lot.” I heard him chuckle in my ear before he pushed the swing again.

“Not from the person I want it from.” The swing stopped and he turned it so that I looked at him, he leaned down to meet my face.

“Before…” I began, ignoring his previous statement.