Chapter Sixteen: Judgement...

Start from the beginning

"I'll talk to your mom as soon as I can. Be careful please." She disconnected the call. I didn't know what I was expecting when I spoke with Kim. Maybe that she would sound more apologetic, be eager to speak with me, or just happy. But she sounded pissed. I only hoped she would get in contact with my mom like I asked her to.

I stepped out of line from the phone and followed office Hernandez back towards booking, only this time I was placed in a cell with about ten other people. I didn't take the time to look anyone in the eyes, probably because I couldn't get over the fact that there was only one damn toilet for everyone to use. I had already planned to hold my shit in, I didn't won't to guess germs from anybody up in this place. I found a free bench inside and decided to take a seat. There was already a big husky black guy there mugging the hell out of me. I gave him that, "try if you want to bitchass nigga and I will put my foot up yo ass" look and you slid down further away from me. Avery's ass couldn't get here fast enough; ten minutes in this place felt like ten hours and I was ready to go. Still couldn't believe that Greg's punk as filed charges. Like what the fuck? He shot me, but I took it like a man and came back for his ass. I would respect him more as a man if he had done the same.

I was sitting there in that cell for about forty-five minutes when Officer Hernandez came back over. "Williams, your lawyer is here. Come on." I quickly got up and walked to the front of the cell where he opened it to let me out. He placed the handcuffs back on me and escorted me back to the interrogation room. I saw Avery sitting there looking sleepy as hell, but ready to take care of business. Avery was geeky looking white guy with blue blue, brown hair, and tall stature. He was a nerd for sure, but I trusted him and he always had my back. He stood up as soon as I walked in the room, "I hope you didn't say anything to anyone Jason" he said to me.

"Naw man I didn't. I just made my phone call to you and my girl."

"Your mom, is she going to get what you need?" I had always told him that my mom would be in charge of finances if anything went down.

"Yeah, I told Kim to call her for me. I know she'll come through."

Avery looked down at the tablet before speaking and motioned me over to the seat that was in front of him. "They have evidence of what you did to Greg. There was a camera in the port and lot recording everything. It shows you clear as day hurting him. You going to have to see the judge, but not until Monday morning."

I couldn't believe this shit. "Are you fucking serious Avery? So I gotta stay in this hell hole until Monday morning to see the judge. That nigga shot me and he gets to get off scott-free? This is some bullshit!" I slammed my foot of the floor.

"He did shot you, we both know that, but you didn't file any charges, he did. Since he did the justice system is going to make sure you pay for something, you know that. We're going to have you plead guilty and yes, you will have to spend a few months in prison, but its better than years. The judge may be more lenient on you since you a an Army vet. However, being an Army vet could make it worst. We will have to wait and see."

"Well, I guess I did the crime and I have to do the time right? So the bail money my mom is bringing is not going to do any good? I have to wait?"

"Yes you have to wait until Monday no matter what. This is because they have evidence. If you plead guilty, no matter what his lawyer throws at us you will only get a short sentence. I know you don't want to stay in here any longer than you have to Jason, so let's do what we have to do."

I shook my head in agreeance with him, but I was pissed as hell. "Alright Avery, I'm gonna let you do your job. Call my mom and let her know what's up. I'll see you Monday, and know later right?"