I Walk Away

A long distance love affair was harder than Tory and Tom had thought.

This was a new experience and one you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy – if either of them had one.

If they were perfectly honest, this was the first time either of them had really been in love and they weren't in the same country to enjoy it. Sure over the years there had been moments of lust masquerading as love and maybe they had both convinced themselves it had been real on some level but it was never like this?

And it was killing them both.

Of course they were busy during the day and didn't notice it much – it was just at night.

At night when they climbed into bed there was someone missing, which was ridiculous. If you add all the nights that someone in their 30s (Tom was there and Tory was just a few months away) had spent in bed over their lives it was thousands and they had only really spent one full night together – if you counted the two halves. And yet their bodies missed each other, craved and not just the sex but the companionship, the friendship, the love.

Yep, this was love and it sucked.

Not that they'd made any commitments to each other. They were technically free to bring in a sub if their beds got too empty. In the past they may have even done that. But not this time. This time there was a Tory shaped hole in Tom's bed – in his heart and a Tom shaped hole in hers. And though he continued to flirt, the thought of taking someone else to his bed seemed abhorrent – like tempting fate – if he flirted then she would too if he was tempted then she would be too. The thought of her touching another man being touched by another man – a doctor from the hospital, security guard – killed him inside. He'd never been the jealous type but that was changing. It wasn't that he saw her as his possession not at all; it was more that he saw her as an extension of himself and her of him. It was weird and foreign and not entirely pleasant and yet................someone cared how his day went, really cared, someone had his back and his back first – even if she was in another country.

Sure he spent time in bed with other women – but they were co-stars and friends and the scenes were choreographed to within an inch of their lives, camera in the right place, move this way, move that way, put your hand there, place your lips there.

The end result was sexy, achieving it wasn't.

As soon as they were finished a particularly torrid scene his co-star, an old friend, was on the phone to her boyfriend, a guy he'd met, a guy he liked – they even joked on speaker about Tom kissing his girl, he was an actor, he understood.

Would Tory? If she saw what he'd just filmed? This was his work, he couldn't second guess this. But he needed to hear her voice, to complain about spending the day almost naked and in bed but not with her – nothing real – he loved acting but sometimes it was nice to be Tom.

His co-star's eyebrow lifted when he went for his own phone and out to his dressing room. He knew what she was thinking – Tom Hiddleston had friends with benefits he didn't do commitments, he couldn't, the work/life balance didn't work for him. And yet here he was making a call to someone.

Sure his co-stars had noticed a change well the women of the group – both old friends with partners of their own. But they'd never questioned who and he hadn't offered.

He and Tory didn't talk about it, they didn't tell anyone, they treated their relationship (is that what this was?), like a wish that wouldn't come true if you shared it.

It was April and they'd been apart almost three months, Skype was good but it wasn't really cutting it.

Of course they had their friends and their work and that took up most of the time.