When the World Comes In

Dedicated to Spiker and Tash-Cat

Dickie tore along the beach at full speed, he was a happy dog.

The young couple behind him seemed that way too, laughing, holding hands looking relaxed – two normal people falling in love, enjoying a romantic early morning beach walk. They were laughing at their own jokes, living in their own world.

Tom and Tory were looking very relaxed for two people who had fallen asleep cramped up on a lounge in each other's arms. They were sprung by his mother nestled together, her head on his shoulder, snuggled into his side. They were fully clothed and smiling in their sleep. Diana snuck a photo on her phone. She hadn't seen Tom smile in his sleep since he was a young child. Not that she made a habit of watching him – well not now he was in his thirties. She let them stay there together despite the chance that both would wake up with cricked necks, instead spreading her favourite multicoloured quilt over them and sneaking off.

She wasn't getting her hopes up. Both had a bad habit of cold feet when things got serious. She tried not to feel guilty for that, her daughters weren't like it, surely it wasn't that they were both children of divorce. Surely it was more about being driven and just a touch self-centred. They had a lot of other obstacles to overcome too – long distances, busy schedules and the press – her family and maybe even his.

They looked so peaceful.

She let them enjoy it while they could.

They awoke to the smell of a full English, including kippers, and the sight of a full sun rising and filling their little glass cocoon with light and colour.

They kissed again, long and deep, sighing contentedly. She tried to ignore the feeling gnawing low in her body and the sword wanting to be sheathed. He kissed her and went for a cold shower and a little light relief before breakfast.

If she were any other girl he'd just started seeing he'd have had her in his bed by now – but it didn't seem right to rush it.

And now here they were, on the beach early enough to hold hands and laugh without hundreds of locals and tourists. Sure there were early risers but the families were yet to come out in force.

The only concession to who they were was the sunglasses, his baseball cap, her big straw hat, an older man fishing from the beach halfway along and a good looking young man doing his morning exercises near them and then running along the beach a little.

"I'll have to talk to your grandmother about your security detail," he laughed as she watched the buff young man, a cross somewhere between Idris Elba and Denzel Washington, run past and break out for some push-ups on the pebbly beach a little further up.

"Gran doesn't pick my detail," she laughed.

"Well who does – I'll talk to the Government, take my plight to the local member – to the House of Commons who ever will listen – only ugly boys for Princess Tory!" he countered with a cheeky look in his eyes.

"Where's the fun in being a princess if you don't have something pretty to look at!"

"Aren't I pretty enough? " he laughed looking hurt. "Mmmm maybe,
she giggled.

"Maybe?" he asked menacingly as she took off before he could reach her. He chased her down, catching her and pulling her in for a kiss.

"Mmm, tourists no decorum," they heard a voice huff nearby and they both looked up, to see Diana's friend Margaret. They both giggled and Margaret turned back, her eyebrow lifting when she recognised the young couple canoodling on the beach. She was Diana's oldest friend, they'd gone to school together before she had left for the city and she'd know that boy anywhere – she should she was his godmother. She knew the girl too. Diana had said Tom was coming for the weekend but she'd not mentioned Tory or the fact that they seemed to be a lot closer than they had been in the past. Well she wouldn't would she?