Where the Wild Things are

IT was mid afternoon by the time the tennis finished and Andy Murray was safely on his way to the next round of Wimbledon.

Tory was restless.

It had been a warm day and they'd adjourned back to the refreshment tent for a little bit of bubbly and some cool water- they wanted to eat lobster later not look like one so it was a chance to get out of the sun -and to watch Tom take Benedict and Eddie Redmayne down in games of table tennis.

Tory stood demurely watching, chatting to acquaintances as Em and Eddie's girlfriend cheered and whooped. She was on her best behaviour today – she'd promised she would be. After Suffolk Tory was on notice to "keep her nose clean" not that anyone blamed her for the incident but with the new baby on its way the royal profile was high and people were in love with the monarchy in way that only a royal baby or wedding could ignite. They didn't need scandal or the hint of one.

She was almost convinced that Harry being out of the country was no accident. And now with her profile high she had to behave like a proper member of the royal family. Not that she didn't, she was never the problem child. She towed the line but she was really feeling the constraints. Stepping up to take on more royal responsibilities, watching over Kate, trying to set up her practice and her almost relationship with Tom were taking its toll. There were things that she wanted to do that she couldn't and she felt like the bird in the gilded cage that she'd always fought to avoid being.

Actually what she wanted to do right now was take Tom on at a game of table tennis– she was as competitive as he was – she'd even beaten him at Tennis (okay once and he may have let her win) but no-one seemed to be getting close and she knew his weaknesses.

That was out of the question though.

She was a princess today.

Tory sighed; this was not the day out at the tennis she would have chosen. Her date would have had more Tom in it and less royal duties. Tom had promised that the real event was after this – off to J Sheekeys back in Covent Garden with Ben and Emily in tow.

She had always wanted to go there but it made her nervous. A nice dinner party back at her apartment had been her choice -quiet and relaxed and away from the public eye. Alternatively there was a wine-bar not that far from Tom's that Ben had suggested but he wouldn't be swayed.

He was showing off – not to the world – but to her and she knew it and thought it was sweet but it was also dangerous. It was in the theatre district, frequented by the rich and famous and so also by photographers.

But Tom had a counter argument for everything.

There were four of them so it wouldn't really look like a date, it was central to both of their places, it served the most amazing seafood, he knew Tory had always wanted to go there AND they were going early. Most of the celebrities and paps didn't come out until much later either in time to go to dinner before a show or have supper after one. They were virtually going in as it opened – leaving plenty of time to go back to his place alone for pudding or to talk about what ever came up! Plus she'd told him years ago - that night at Em's birthday party two years earlier, that she'd never been – he'd mentioned the restaurant in passing and she had tagged it as somewhere in London that was on her list to visit one day. She'd joked that sometimes she thought she'd seen more of the rest of the country and the world than of her home city.

He'd remembered.

It was romantic and sweet and she wanted to believe that they could have a normal date but it didn't seem practical and rather than be relaxed about spending time with friends she was becoming more tense by the moment.