We Never Picked a Name

Christie

I placed the mask over Gabbys face, this would make her totally unconscious. We didn't have long, she'd already lost so much blood. There was no point in me starting a blood transfusion now, she'd just continue to bleed. "We ready?" The surgeon nodded at me and I gave the nod to start. He started the incision and the other started to suction away the blood. There was so much blood. I knew her chances of getting through this were slim, but I didn't want to believe that. This is Gabby, Gabby can pull through anything. As I held her hand I stood up and looked over the surgeons. "It's a placental abruption. If you get the baby out and then the placenta she should be good." The midwife walked forward and stood next to me with a blanket in her arms. I've seen many children be born before, but there is something different when you know who that baby is, it seems even more magical. As the surgeon picked up the little boy and laid him in the blanket he started to cry and I breathed a sigh of relief. I've got a nephew. The midwife took him over to the table and wiped him down with towels and took his measurements. I stayed standing with my hand in Gabbys as the finished the surgery. Nothing can explain the feeling you get when you see that surgery has been a success. We could see there was no bleeding, and so the surgeon began to restitch. Matt was going to be over the moon. I walked over to the baby and looked at him laying there crying. "Oh baby, your mummy and daddy are going to be so happy." I turned to the nurse, "get him into the NICU in a crib for precaution, until we know how strong his breathing is I won't take any chances. Get Gabby into recovery, and I'll go update Matt."

Matt

Gabby. Gabby. Gabby. Gabby. Gabby. Gabby. Gabby. Gabby. Gabby was the only thing running through my head. Was she going to be okay? I couldn't loose her, not now. It's kinda ironic how she would always worry about me being hurt in a fire, and then she'd have to raise the baby alone. Now I'm facing that very thought. Why is it taking so long? Christie said she'd update me soon, it's been nearly an hour and I was starting to get anxious. I can't loose her. I can't loose either of them. I put my head in my hands and tried not to think about it. That's impossible. She's going to pull through, she has to.otherwise I don't know what I'd do. "Matt." Kelly said putting a hand on my back. I looked up to him, and then toward the direction he was looking. Christie was standing there, and I stood up and walked over. "How is she?" "The surgery was a success, Gabby is in recovery now. Congratulations, you've got a son." A son. I have a baby boy, a little boy to call my own. There are no words I can put to the way I'm feeling.

Christie

A smile grew on my brothers face. One of his genuine 'Matthew Casey' smiles and I couldn't help but smile back. "How is he?" "For a premie he's doing really well. Cried and everything as he was born which is not something we normally expect. He is in the NICU, just until we can run more tests on his lung function." He nodded, "when can I see Gabby?" "She's still asleep, we've given her some blood to try and get her levels back up. She should be waking up soon. I'll take you to her." He smiled with a nod and I put my arm around his shoulder before leading him down the corridor. Gabby was in the far recovery room, I quietly opened the door and let Matt walk in first. Gabby looked peaceful, and the colour had returned to her face after the transfusion. "Do you want me to stay?" "You're on shift." "I've got the rest of it off." He nodded. "I can go if you want." "No, I don't want to be in here alone." I nodded in understanding and sat down in one of the chairs as Matt sat down by the bed and laced his fingers in Gabby's. "What are you going to name him?" "We never picked a name. Actually that's a lie. We had a girls name, and two boys names. But we have to see him before we pick one," he smiled. "Well he's gorgeous." Matt nodded. I knew the only thing he was thinking about was Gabby. Not log after that I could see him starting to fall asleep. I stood up and slowly walked over. "Matt, hey." He jumped slightly and looked up, "come lay down." "I'm fine Christie." "Hey it's okay. You need to get rest, one of you needs to be here for your little boy. Just lay down on the window seat." He nodded slightly and I helped him up and over to the window. It didn't take long until he was asleep. One of my best friends walked through not long after. She worked maternity and I had asked her to be Gabbys doctor. "How's she doing?" "Stats are still improving, she'll pull through." "That's good." "Thanks," I whispered quietly as she wrote down he stats. "I have the tests from the little boy. He's looking really good," she said handing me the files. "The doctor said she'd bring him in soon." "Thanks so much Anna." "No worries, page if you need me back." I nodded with a smile and relaxed back into the chair. Next thing I knew David, the head doctor of the NICU walked in with the little boy in one arm and a bottle in the other. "Hey," I smiled sitting up. "How's mum doing?" "She's doing great. Should be waking up soon. How's the baby?" "A very strong one. Should be able to be discharged within the week, hopefully at the same time as Gabby."
He gently passed me the baby and the bottle, "He'll be hungry soon. I'll have one of the nurses being in a crib." "Thanks heaps." "No worries, you know where to find me. Once your brother and sister-in-law wake up let me know and I'll come down and have a chat to them." I nodded and as he left I started to feed the little boy.

Suddenly Gabbys breathing became heavier and her legs moved. I took the bottle out of the baby's mouth and stood up walking over to the bed. I took her hand and she squeezed it ever so slightly as her eyelids fluttered. Her voice was a small whisper and she coughed. "Christie.....what happened?"