That's Our Baby

Gabby

I sat tapping my foot against the floor as I waited for Matt. He should've been here by now, I don't want him to miss the appointment. They were already running late, which was kind of helpful I guess. I'm supposed to be getting my 14 week ultrasound done, and then we need to talk to the doctor about work and how long I can work for. I checked my watch again and sighed. Where the hell was Matt? He promised me he wouldn't miss this. I looked up to the TV, there were no news reports regarding any fires or accidents. I rest one hand on my small swollen bump and sigh again. "Gabriella Dawson?" A doctor said walking out. I grabbed my bag and stood up. Matts going to miss it. I checked my phone one last time, but there were no new calls or messages. I started to follow the doctor down the hall. "Gabby." I heard Matt call my name and I turned around. I stopped and waited for him to catch up before kissing him gently. "I'm sorry I came straight from a fire." "It's okay, you're here now and you won't miss it," I said with a smile. The doctor lead us into a small room and I laid down on the bed. She turned on the machine beside her and placed the cool gel onto my stomach.

Casey

I took Gabbys hand and we both watched the screen as the doctor began the ultrasound. "That's our baby," Gabby smiled looking up at me. I nodded and kissed her forehead before turning back to the screen. "There's the heart beating. Arms, legs, head, and body." The doctor said. "Wow, that is amazing." The doctor grabbed some pictures from the machine and handed them to the two of us. She turned off the machine and then gently wiped Gabbys bump with some cloth. "Now I understand we need to discuss working arrangements," she said looking up to us. "Yeah," Gabby said sitting up. "What are your occupations?" She asked grabbing out a pad of paper and a pen. "I'm a firefighter, and Gabbys a paramedic." "How do your shifts run?" "24 hours on, 48 off," Gabby said. "Alright. Your due Feb 6. Normally was tell parents to go on maternity at 32 weeks, making that the 11th of December. Because of your occupation I'm bringing that back again to 27 weeks, making that the 7th of November. Today's the 8th of August, so you've got 3 months before you need to stop working." Gabby and I nodded at the same time. "I'll send a medical certificate over to your house for maternity leave. If anything happens, or any complications arise the date may be bought forward. Other than that take it easy, keep doing what you are doing. Everything is looking good." I smiled at Gabby and helped her up off the bed. I picked up her bag for her and handed it to her before we walked out and down the corridors to reception. She made another appointment for 3 weeks time, and then we made our way outside to Gabbys car. "That was good," she smiled looking it me. I was about to speak when my radio went off.
Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61. Structure Fire, corner of Gordon and Murphy.
"Alright I have to go. I'll see you later," I smiled kissing her gently. "I'll meet you at home before we go look at the houses," she said. "Alright, bye beautiful." "Bye. Be safe."