The Worst Thing Possible

Gabby

Everyone knows that Halloween is the Chiefs favourite holiday. We go all out just to keep him happy. I had a week of work left, thank god. I remember growing up, my papa used to take both me and Antonio trick or treating every year, and we used to come home with bucket loads of candy. We were going to do that with our kids. I couldn'twait to be a mum. I feel the baby move nearly everyday now and it excites me every time. I will always be in awe about the fact that there is a human being growing inside of me. When you think about it, it is bizzare. How something can go from a tiny dot to a baby in 9 months. I know Matt has always wanted kids, which makes me happy knowing he is just as excited as I am. He's taking so much time off work after the baby is born. I think it's nearly 5 weeks he has off. He is going to get so bored, and I am going to get sick of him hovering around all the time. I might be able to convince him to go back to work earlier and then bank that time off so we can take a holiday later in the year. I have seven months off in total. 3 before the baby is born, 4 after.

I finished tipping all the candy into the bowls for the kids that would be coming by after school. "Hands out!" I said as Otis tried to steal some. "You really want Boden to find out you've been stealing the candy? Last year we ran out." He laughed slightly and backed away as I put the bowls down on the table. I think squad are outside setting up the 'evil firehouse of doom.' Matt was standing just at the entry to the common room hanging up the banner for the tours later. The kids love our house because Boden is so in to it. He will probably dress up later to hand out the candy. "Really Matt?" I asked as he got down from the step ladder. "That looks terrible, it's not even straight." "Gabby it's fine. The kids won't even care anyway." I sighed and grabbed bluetak off the table before climbing onto the step ladder. I reached up and fixed the banner so it was even and straight. I looked down to steady myself and then looked back up again. The sudden movement started a head rush, making my vision go blurry. I tried to grab onto the ladder but I couldn't.

Casey

I heard a massive thud and turned around to see the worst thing possible. Gabby was laying on the ground by the step later not moving. "Gabby." I said running over and bending down beside her with Shay. "Gabby are you hurt?" She didn't reply. She was dazed and her breathing was agonised. Shay got out and ran out to the ambo to get the jump bag. I could hear her yelling at squad while Herrmann and I stayed with Gabby. "Mills help now! Kelly get the gurney and a backboard!" Shay came running back in with oxygen and the medical bag and bent back down beside Gabby. "Talk to me Dawson. What's going on?" Shay asked as she pressed the stethoscope the Gabbys chest and then back. "Damn it Gabby talk to me!" She grabbed the flashlight and shon it into Gabbys pupils to see if she reacted. "Mills get her on oxygen, she just winded and dazed." Mills turned on the machine and placed the mask over Gabbys face while I held her hand. There were so many thoughts running through my head all at once. Is she going to be okay? Is the baby going to be okay?
"What happened?" Kelly asked rolling the gurney in and placing the backboard down beside Gabby. "I don't know, I wasn't watching. She must have fallen." "Jeez Dawson," he sighed running a hand through his hair. We all knew this wasn't good. Shay placed a collar around her neck and looked at us. "Kelly and Casey you stabilise her head, mills move her body, and I'll move the backboard." We all nodded. "1,2,3." We gently moved gabby onto the backboard, before lifting her up onto the gurney. "Mills I need you to drive," Shay said as we loaded Gabby in the back. "I'm coming." She nodded and I climbed in beside Gabby and took her hand. Kelly closed the doors behind Shay and we sped off.