I Need a Favour

Casey

"Make sure you take it easy. And if anything, I mean anything happens or something feels wrong call me straight away," I whispered. "Matt we are going to be fine. I've got Antonio and my parents. I'm only gone for a couple days anyway." "I know, I just worry about you, both of you." She smiled and kissed me gently. "We will both be fine. I'll call you tonight." "Okay." I kissed her and then bent down and kissed her stomach, "bye baby, be good for mummy okay?" Gabby ran her hand through my hair and I stood back up and kissed her. "Bye, have a safe flight." She swung her hand bag on her shoulder. "I love you." "I love you too Matt." We waved one last time and she walked in behind the doors with Antonio and his two kids. 4 days. That was all I had to do without her. It was still going to be weird not having her at home waiting for me. I walked back out of the airport and jumped in the truck. "So where's she going again?" Otis asked. "Denver to see her parents. She's gone four days." Cruz pulled back onto the road. "Gee she's pushing it to fly." "Letter from the doctor, this week was her last chance to go."

My phone started to ring and I pulled it from my pocket to see Christies name on the screen. "Hey, everything okay?" I asked. "Yeah. Everything's good. Listen I need a favour." "What is it?" "It's late notice I know, but I have to cover a shift until later tonight. I was supposed to be on till 3 but I have to go till midnight. Is there any chance you and Gabby could have Violet?" "That's fine. I'm on shift now but I finish at 2:30 so I'll pick her up from school. She can just stay at my place tonight." "Are you sure?" "Yeah it's no stress. Gabbys just left for her parents so it'll just be the two of us. I can drop her home tomorrow." "Thanks Matt. I really appreciate it. She knows where the spare key is if you wanted to stop by my place so she can grab some clothes." "No worries I'm on it. I'll see you tomorrow." "Bye Matt." "Bye."

"So I guess you ain't coming to Molly's tonight then," Herrmann said. "Violet will come with me." "She'll be bored out of her brain." "Severide will be there. So will Shay. At least I'm still gonna come." Herrmann chuckled as we pulled back up at the house. "Shay are you coming to Molly's tonight?" "Yeah why?" "I'm watching Violet. Herrmann reckons she'll be bored but she knows most of you guys." "She'll be fine don't stress." "Casey chief wants you in his office," Severide said walking out to me. I nodded and walked down the corridor to the Chiefs office. "Hey Chief. And Chief Tyberg, sorry I wasn't expecting you," I said shaking both of their hands. "Casey we were just talking about Dawson and her maternity leave. Do you know what she's planning to do after the baby is born?" I sat down in the chair, "We haven't really talked about it. I'm assuming she wants to come back on at 81." "The problem is we can't hold her spot," Tyberg said. "We have to offer it to another candidate. On top of that once you two are married she can't serve under you." "Look, I'm going to have to talk to Gabby. I don't think it'll be an issue if you give away her position for a pint her candidate to do a year. Gabbys going to be off for the next 6-7 months anyway. She shouldn't mind coming back to ambo for a couple of months. She would probably prefer that, it'll be easier for her to balance and if she has to miss the occasional shift she can get away with that, where as she can't as a candidate." "How soon can you get an answer?" "She's flown to her parents for the next four days to see them before the baby is born. I'll talk to her once she gets back and I'll let you both know as soon as I know." "Thank you Casey." "Anything else Chief?" "No." I stood up and shook Tybergs hand again before Bodens. "Thank you."