11:04 AM

I only had about 4 hours. I sat down on the bed. I didn't think I could sleep. I trudged to the bathroom and washed my face with cold water, feeling hot. I rubbed the greenish lump on my neck, remembering the dream.

It's just a dream.

I heard a knock on the door and I walked out the bathroom and opened the door to see Annabeth. She was holding papers to her chest. She furrowed her eyebrows when she saw me.

"... What happened to your neck?"

I rubbed the lump. "... An accident?" I said hoarsely.

"How are you going to talk like that?"

"It's none of your business." I said sharply.

She flinched slightly, and I felt a bit bad.

"... Why?"

She held out the papers. "I... I just thought this might help."

I flipped through the papers to see a whole speech written out for me.
She looked at me expectantly. I stood there akwardly, thinking that girls were too complicated.

Well, I knew what I wanted.

"Thanks."

I shut the door in her face and stepped away, feeling a bit sorry. I stared at the papers.

Might as well memorize this.

I sat down on the bed and started reading the speech.

~

Victor's POV

I doubted he rested.

He was pale, and his fever had gotten worse by 3. He was sweating buckets, and he seemed jittery.
In the car, sitting next to me, and looking at the papers that Annabeth had given him. He was hiding the swollen lump under his collared shirt.

"Does my voice sound weird?"

I shook my head. "You're fine."

I couldn't tell him he looked downright sick.

"Feeling any better?"

"A little lightheaded- just nervous."

I glanced at him worriedly. "You sure?"

"I'm fine."

I sighed. "I hope so."
I stared at his hands, gripping the papers tight.

"Are those helpful?"

He smiled a little. "Yeah. Annabeth is smart."

I looked outside.

"We're nearly here."

He sighed and closed his eyes. The door opened, and I followed him to the balcony like ledge. I saw Chaos behind him, and he stepped onto the platform, staring at the hungry little eyes of the crowd.

~

Percy's POV

When I started speaking, I could barely hear myself.

Now all I could hear was the painful throbbing in my head.

I could feel my tongue moving, but I couldn't hear it. I felt lightheaded- and my legs were shaking like leaves.

I didn't know I had felt like this in public.

The faces of the crowd became blurry. The script also became blurry, only letting me see the colors of the paper and words. I talked though, even though I didn't know what I was talking about.

It was sudden.

Though I could feel it clearly- and it coursed through my whole body.

Pain.

I nearly fell over, but I had grasped the wooden sides of the(what was it? The stand thats in front of you when you speak.) The roaring of blood in my ears.

I tried to force another word out of my mouth, but I lost grip of the stand thingy. My hands were clammy. I felt a hand under my arm, helping me up, but I stood by myself, wiping my hands on my pants.

"Omega-"

"I apologize. I am... Not in a good condition today." I said smoothly.

I wasn't looking at the script. I kept on talking- just talking.

"I swear against the River Styx that all I say is true." I said confidently.

"My only wish is to protect my family and friends. That is why I am Commander." I paused.

"I want to protect this planet- my citizens, my soldiers. I never want to kill another soldier again."

"I will not wish to become a Commander again. I will..."

Die?

"Retire." I said quickly.

A silence filled the whole place. All I could hear was the pounding in my head again.

"Why?"

I heard the man's voice, sharp and clear. I looked down to see him holding a megaphone. He glared up at me, and things seemed to clear. My emotions took over me, and my face, which had been void of emotions turned into a sad smile.

"I don't think I'm fit for the job."

Before the man could say anything else, Chaos pulled me away, and by the time I was in the car, I had lost consciousness.

Why?

It was kind of funny. They had told me I wasn't fit for the job.

What were they trying to do now?

I sighed.

I knew I couldn't do this anymore.

My body had reached it's limit. I was breaking down- I couldn't do this.

It didn't matter.

I was going to die anyway.