Chapter 37

Percy's POV

I had probably woken up because I was cold.

I stared blankly at the bottles and bandages, and spotted the aspirin.

Huh.

I crawled to it and swallowed a pill without water. On my knees, I picked up the scattered bandages and ambrosia. I stuffed them in the cupboard and picked up the ones on the sink.

More...

I shook my head.

Not right now.

Moreeee...

It whined in a pitiful way.

No.

More!

The whole world lurched foward and I grasped the toilet, retching into it.

MORE

It started humming what it always did.

No pain

No pain

No pain...

~

Victor's POV

"Percy."

He opened his eyes slightly, trying to focus. He was clutching his chest.
"Where does it hurt?"
"I can feel it."
"Feel what?"
"My heart's still beating."
I grabbed his wrist and took his pulse.

Too fast.

I could feel it jolting, ready to say that it had enough. I stood up and rummaged around the cupboards to find the medcine I had put in here. I pulled it out.

"It's wet."

I took out the medicine to see it soaked. Cursing, I looked back at Percy. He was still breathing hard, clutching his chest.

Aspirin, aspirin, aspirin...

I took out the bottle and gave it to him.
"Chew it."
He popped one in his mouth and I wrapped his arm around my neck, hauling him up. He was suprisingly light.
"Percy, we're going to walk to my room. I don't have enough energy to teleport."
"But.... Soldiers."
"It'll be okay."
He looked down and sighed. We slowly walked out of his room and down the hallway. His footsteps got slower, now painstakingly slow. I wanted to run, but I knew I couldn't.
"Percy. Can you hear me?"
He nodded slowly.
"We're nearly there. Pick up the pace."
He took a few more slow steps and started walking a little bit faster. A few soldiers sent us weird glances but walked on. I layed him on the bed and connected a few tubes to him after giving him two shots.

Today's competition.

"Sleep."
I slipped out of the room and went to floor above the arena, were the competition info was all stored in the computers.
"Can I help you?"
A smiling son of Hermes asked politely.
"Can Percy rest today?"
"Who?"
"Omega."
"Oh. Commander?"
"Yes." I said impatiently.
"... You mean... Not fight?"
I nodded. He pursed his lips and sat down in front of a computer. His fingers moved quickly, and it showed a long list. He smiled apologitically.
"I'm sorry, but I don't think he can. Theres not another match that can replace his."
"Why?"
His smile wavered at my tone.
"I'll ask the umpire."
He ran off and I pushed my hair back, sighing. He brought back the umpire, a son of Dike.
"I'm sorry, but we can't change the order of anything. If you can just tell us the reason-"
"Why can't you?"
"As we told you, we have to change the opponents, which is impossible."
"Why can't you just cancel the competition today?"
"But-"