Chapter 22

Annabeth's POV

Time slowed.

My life passed me by in flashes, times with my father, Luke and Thaila, Percy, Theo- I could see everybody.

I wanted to say sorry to Percy though.

I never knew I was waiting for a blade that would never come. DUH I opened my eyes a little to see black wings. My eyes fluttered open widely.

Cut of black wings.

His hand was dripping blood, holding my dagger in his hand. I couldn't say anything.

"Perseus." Kellied purred.

He stepped on her wrist and jarred the dagger out of her hand without a word. Kellie screamed and scrambled back.

"F*ck off."

All she was now was a scorched burn mark on the ground.

"P... Percy?" DUH

He tossed my dagger back to me and glanced at me, only letting me see a glimspe of his face. Everyone but him was frozen. It felt like my chest was being filled with cookie dough- I couldn't breathe. He walked slowly to the monsters, who were frozen just like we were. They broke out of their trance faster than us and charged, yelling, screaming their own war cries. I broke out of mine then, and my legs ran to him. Suddenly, the monsters all disinigrated. He turned to see me running towards him, arms outstreched.

And he avoided me. DUH

He stepped to the side calmly, letting me run right past him. I skidded to a stop. The people left on the battlefield came to him, scolded him, hugged him. But his eyes never left mine.

We're over. DUH

I could feel it- hear it clearly. The throbbing feeling in my chest was never wrong. His eyes were as same as I had imagined, filled with sorrow, pain, and hate.

Hate for me.

~

The news spread quickly.

Everyone was like, hurrah! We have our savior back! We can live!

"We're doomed." he said simply. DUH

Jason pursed his lips. "Uh-"
"We're not. I'm just kidding." DUH
He leaned back, twirling ripride between his fingers. "What do we need to do now?"
"We need to find Tartarus forts. He has his sword, which binds in most of his power."
"Finding a fort is easy. But you think the sword will be laying around somewhere? He would carry it around with himself."

"Oh."

He threw his hands up in the air. "You didn't know?"
"Actually, he channels his power from Tartarus, the pit. So he needs to keep it at a fixed place where he can.." my voice faltered when I saw Percy's face. I swallowed hard. "Where he can get power from Tartarus. He probably made a place in America where he can channel the power, which would be in his fort."
Percy nodded slowly. "I know where all his forts are."
"How?"
He rolled his eyes. "Please. I stumbled upon thousands. I think it would be in the big one in Alaska.
Hazel's eyes widened. "Alaska?"
He nodded. "It was the biggest fort I had ever seen. There were monsters everywhere since gods can't keep an eye on the state."
"But.... We need to go there."
"I'll go." he offered.
"I will too." Hazel said.
"Me too." I said quickly. Percy scowled, but it soon turned into his normal face again.
"I have to go..." Victor mumbled.
"I'll go too then." Leo said.
"Five.... Will that be okay?"
Frank shrugged. "You guys can take the Argo II."
Leo shook his head. "No. I need to fix her. She's malfunctioning."
Percy tilted his head to the side. "So we need to go.... By plane."
"Maybe we can-" I said hastily.
"No. We can go by plane." He stood up, without even glancing at me. "When do we go? Tommorow?"
"Next week."
"Why?"
Victor grabbed him by the ear and dragged him out.
"Ow!"
"Cause I say so young man."
"Victor!"
Zoe stared at amusement at the two. "It is good to have him back."
I glanced at the other people, who were nodding agreeing. Jason smiled.

"Yeah."

But I couldn't help but feel a little anxious.

~

Percy's POV

I looked at the floor as he bandaged my hand.

"A year Perseus. A year!"
I flinched at my name. "Victor-"
He grabbed my chin with two fingers and shook my head around. "A year. Without any contact!"
I slipped out of his grasp. "Please."
He shot me a glare. "Why did you come?"
I kicked my feet a few times. "You know. To sort things out with Annabeth."
He sighed. "You don't have to."
"No. I do. I-"

I couldn't tell anyone.

"I have to."
"Percy, I know you don't want to. You can just make up with her and-"
"Victor."
"Just think about it! Why does it always have to be this hard? Maybe you just need to stop acting like a-"

"Victor."

"Fool." he finshed.

I swung my legs off the bed. "My choice is not foolish Victor. It's for the best." I walked and opened the door to see Annabeth.

I tried.

I tried to act like I didn't care. I couldn't express how much I had missed her. My heart seemed to stop, and sink down deep down to my feet. She looked up, and down again. Her hair was in a messy ponytail. She was wearing her owl earrinngs and I remembered when we were just kids- how I had tried scanning every detail.
"Percy, I-"
Victor came up to us.

"Talk."

He went right past us, going down the hall. I looked at her face, and she wouldn't meet my eyes. I sighed and walked past her.

I couldn't bear seeing her any longer.

"I'm sorry Percy."

I stopped in my steps.

"I knew- I know I'm wrong. I can explain- I know you'll understand. It was Prometheus, he tricked me. I-"

"I don't want an explanation."

"Percy-"

I turned around, and stared at her right in the eye.

I can do this.

"Look Annabeth. I don't want anything but a divorce."

Her eyes shone. "Percy. It's not-"

"I told you. I don't need your explanations."

"I missed you Percy. Really. All I want is you back."

"And all I want to do is never see you again."

"Percy!"

"I came here to sort things out. With you. And I'm not staying at camp. So please."

"Just leave me alone."

I turned around and walked down the hall, trying to ignore her. I blinked once hard, holding in tears.

I did it.

I couldn't leave Annabeth as a widow when I died.