Sixteen||

•Kaila's POV•

After I walked inside, all the girls seemed to be playing some sort of game.

"Hey, guys! What are y'all playing?" I asked, happier since the last time I saw them. Amber helped me sit down in between Jordan and Claire, Amber went and sat on the other side of the circle.

"We are playing Truth or Dare," Claire answered.

"So, truth or dare, Chloe!" Alexandra asked Chloe.

"Truth!"

"Okay, camp crush?"

"Uh, no," Chloe answered simply. All the girls argued.

"That's totally not fair!"

"You definitely have a camp crush."

"You have to know one guy that's cute."

"Okay fine!" Chloe gave in, she smiled thinking about it. "There's this guy on my team this year, who I must say is one attractive man. Oof! A girl would dream of eyes like his."

All the girls giggled violently. I sighed, remembering Hunter's ocean blue eyes. One that could sweep any girl off her feet and land safely in a boat somewhere in the middle of an ocean.

"Kaila?" A hand was in front of my face. "You good?"

I was startled back into reality. "Yeah! Of course!"

"Truth or dare?"

I had to bet that the truth question was going to be who my camp crush was, and there was no way I was going to tell my daydream of Hunter's all too sweet eyes, but I was incapable of doing a dare. "I don't know," I whispered, shrugging my shoulders.

"If you choose a dare, we won't make it hard for you," Alexandra promised.

I shrugged, "Sure, I'll pick dare."

Chloe, who was the one to ask me the question, made a thinking face. "I got it! I dare you to go outside and scream 'Jesus loves you!' at the nearest person."

It was either this or be traumatized by questions about Hunter, so I decided to do it. I got up and went out to the door. My heart started beating loudly in my chest, I was afraid to even be here, but the fact that it was the first day too, was even more nerve-wracking.

All the girls giggled behind me, I saw an innocent boy walking past. Gathering up every single courage in my body, anything to not get asked about Hunter. A very loud "JESUS LOVES YOU!" was directed towards this boy who was no older than eleven.

"YOU TOO!" He screamed back. All the girls giggled and tried pulling me inside. But I saw all too familiar eyes, all too familiar smile, all too familiar hair. I was stuck in that position staring in his direction. There wasn't a single way that he was here. No, he couldn't be here.

I thought I was going to pass out right there, I didn't move. The girls tried telling me to come back inside. I didn't, I stood and stared.

Flashes of memories flooded my head. Feelings of regret and too much alcohol-drenched my senses. I was going to be sick, I couldn't do this, not here, not now.

Finally, I was pulled back inside the building. I stood, staring at the door, paralyzed in my own fear and regret.

"Kaila?" Amber tried touching my shoulder, but one millimeter of heat on my body sent my body into shock, I flinched forward.

"Don't touch me."

"I'm sorry." Her voice was terrified, mortified even.

"I can't be here."

I turned around, tears running down my eyes. "Kaila, I didn't know that you were that afraid of screaming at someone. Are you okay?"

Each one of their eyes screamed for help, from who? I don't know. I'm sure I looked wretched, I'd just seen the last person on earth I thought would be here, the one I hadn't seen since it happened.

My top lip felt wet, as I licked the top of it, I realized it was bleeding. My mouth quivered, not saying a word until suddenly my body went limp.