||Two

Kaila's POV•

Four years later, my leg had healed, but uncomfortably. My knee was turned sideways, and my ankle was not fully healed. I was in a more permanent cast and was forced to the restrains of crutches and a wheelchair for longer walks.

School just ended and I couldn't do anything but sit down with my crutches at my side, the cast on my leg, and the TV blaring with the newest episodes of Once Upon A Time.

"Kaila, honey, you really need to find a different pass time. Just sitting there watching that silly TV show, isn't exactly a summer." Mom complained, grabbing both sides of my head and kissing the top. She had a dirty dishtowel in her hand, and I swatted at it to get her to leave.

I rolled my eyes. "Mom, Once Upon A Time is almost on season five and I have to catch up!"

"No, you don't."

I rolled my eyes again, mocked what she said with my hand, and then turned my focus to the TV.

~~
At dinner, my brothers, Kallen and Kaleb, my parents, and I sat around the table eating grilled cheese and tomato soup. I stirred my soup, not interested in the disgusting texture. Not only that, but it was also summertime! What happened to having grill-cooked hamburgers?

Mom decided to pick up a conversation. "So, boys, have you anything fun planned this summer?"

"I got a job at Target." Kaleb shrugged, talking blandly. He also stirred his soup, unwilling to pick up the spoon and drink the disgusting liquid. He and I shared hatred for tomato soup.

"I'm going to camp in a couple of weeks." Kallen piped in, he gladly ate his soup by dipping the cheese sandwich inside of it. He was always going to this summer camp for a week after school got out, he always talked about it, but he never really explained much.

"Oh that's right, that's the camp your friend Percy brought you to, right?" He nodded excitedly. Mom smiled. "Are you excited?" Mom smiled, continuing to slurp the soup in front of her.

"Of course!" He smiled widely.

"I bet you're only excited because your girlfriend is going." I taunted playfully.

Ellen was his girlfriend. They had been dating for three years already. He had just graduated high school, and I just finished my freshman year.

"Oh hush, Kaila!" Mom nagged at me, then turned to my brother. "That should be wonderful that Ellen is going. What a sweet girl."

After a few moments of continuing to stir my soup, Kaleb ended up leaving the table to do who knows what.

"Hey, Bug?" Kallen finally asked breaking the silence. His tone offered as if he were about to ask me to do something for him.

Bug was his nickname for me since I was four, he never lost it. I answered in the same tone he asked in. "Yeah?"

"Would you want to come to camp with me? I know you aren't into things like this, but please for me! It's my last year!" He made the puppy dog face, pooching his bottom lip outward.

I grinned and thought about it. It wouldn't hurt to go, I mean, he talked about it all the time saying how amazing it was. But what about the money?

"I don't know Kal. . . where are we going to get all the money?"

"No need to worry about it!" He smiled widely. I looked at Dad who was sitting next to me at the head of the table, reading his paper. I turned back to Kallen. "Please!? I promise you'll love it!"

I thought again. It wouldn't hurt to go. I'd only for Kallen.

"All right, fine!" I gave in, Kallen cheered. "But only for you!"

"Oh, thank goodness. Because I signed you up already, so if you said no, I would have to find another Kaila!" He got up, took his plate, and danced away to put it in the sink.

I chuckled at his enthusiasm. This might not be such a bad summer after all.