Thirteen||

•Kaila's POV•

"How was it?" I asked Amber as she came next to me. We saw the water cart and went to get some good water with all of this intense heat.

We stood up and joined them, me crutching my way — of course — then sipping on my cone-shaped cup filled with fresh, cool water.

"Just as awful as I remembered." Amber laughed, while also chugging more water and noticed that Alex was not too far away from us.

"Hello, Ms. Kaila." He greeted coming up next to me.

"Hey, Alex." I greeted, filling up my cone cup once more. He grabbed the same.

He chuckled. "How did I look on the course? Pretty tough?" He flexed his muscles; I shied away and rolled my eyes.

I laughed. "Sure, you looked great." I tried to make it as sarcastic as possible. I wasn't watching him, I was watching...someone else.

He downed the cone full of water and crushed it in his hands. He looked over at Amber and nodded. There was something awkward about their relationship, I could see it, even without knowing them very well.

I leaned over to her and spoke quietly. "You have to tell me what's up between you and Alex."

She groaned and covered her face embarrassed. "Um, later?"

I nodded and smiled.

~~~

Unfortunately, next was paintball. "Come on Kaila, I've never played this game before, let's do it!" Amber was trying to convince me to play. I was unsure, mostly because of my foot.

"I don't know Amber..." I gestured towards my foot, I was still on crutches, and I couldn't participate in the obstacle course, why would I do this?

"Oh...um, well..."

"I can help you." Alex chimed in.

I turned to Alex, who was uncomfortably close. He seemed to do that a lot, even though Amber had caught me up a bit on their relationship, I was still unsure of what his intentions were. "You sure?"

"Of course!" he smiled widely.

"Okay then. . ."

"Yay!" Amber clapped "Do you want to run or shoot?"

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to run! I wanna get a welt to show my feminism." She flexed her skinny arms, showing barely any muscle. We laughed hysterically and walked over to the game instructor.

"Well, if you're gonna run, I'm gonna shoot. It seems more fun and stationary."

Once the game instructions were told, Amber went to the beginning of the paintball course as Alex, and I went to find somewhere to hide.

"Let's go find a place to hide, hm? It has to be good so we can shoot Amber." Alex said getting ready.

I agreed, but I was scared, still wary of his intentions. But we were at camp, it should be okay.

He laughed. "No need to be so scared, all we do is shoot."

The gun fired for us to begin, and Alex and I had found a good hiding spot. We waited for the runners to come. Patiently we waited behind the bushes.

"I can hear them," Alex whispered. We spotted one. "Shoot!" He yelled and instantly started shooting at the oncoming runners. They tried dodging the bullets, but Alex ran after them trying to get as many paint spots on them as possible.

It wasn't until the runners had passed, that I realized I was all alone. And I didn't know where I was, or how to get back. This was my first time here, and I was terrified.

"Alex!" I screamed; no one answered. I tried again. "Alex...Amber?! Anybody?!"

I hopped out of my hiding spot to the main road and started walking in a direction. My heart raced. I was alone in a foreign place. I just wanted to go home. I felt a panic attack coming, the world got fuzzy, my breathing became a task.

What seemed like forever, I finally heard someone faintly calling my name. I saw a light brown-haired boy running up to me.

"Kaila!"

I squinted my eyes to make out who it was. It was him. "Hunter?"