Chapter XXI: Arising Suspicions

Start from the beginning

"Did you bring the research from the study?" Even asked.

With a short nod, Ienzo walked over to Even and handed him a notebook from his pocket. Lea watched as Even took the notebook and then handed it over to Lea, with a smirk on his face.

Confused, Lea held onto the notebook, a thick book with a leather cover and a ribbon that dangled out from inside the book, acting as a bookmark. "What's this supposed to be?"

"Ansem the Wise's research," Even told him coolly, his eyes glittering with amusement. "Most of the pages that had been lost have now been found."

Lea opened the book at the bookmark and scanned through the pages. The neat handwritten notes talked about the Heartless, Kingdom Hearts, the Door to the Darkness, and other information that Lea wasn't sure about. With a questionable look, Lea turned his attention to Dilan and Aeleus, who stood quietly next to him while Even was busily chattering away with Ienzo.

"What does this have to do with finding Isa and the others?" Lea inquired, shutting the notebook with his hand and holding it up to them.

Aeleus and Dilan glanced at each other for a moment then turned back to the redhead. "Ansem studied hearts and the correlation between the powers of light and darkness," Dilan, the black haired soldier spoke. "Even has been going through Ansem's research in order to understand what happened to the others."

Still not convinced, Lea turned to Even with a frown on his face. "How long is this going to take? Weeks? Months?"

Even stopped talking to Ienzo and looked at Lea, noticing the red head's impatience. "More or less. We don't have any other clues that could help us now do we?"

"But what about the castle? I could go there and look for clues, can't I?"

"That sounds like a troublesome trip," Ienzo spoke up, shaking his head at Lea. "You probably won't find them there."

"Well I gotta at least go and find some answers, don't I?" Lea snapped with hint of annoyance.

"Patience is a virtue Lea," Even sighed, turning to his computer. "If you are so worked up about going to the castle, I would like you to find something for me." He looked at Lea with his eyebrows raised in question. "Interested?"

Then at that moment, alarms went off in the room and red lights were flashing in the laboratory. Everyone in the room awoke with full alert at the sound of the screeching sirens. Immediately, Aeleus and Dilan nodded at each other and bolted out of the room. Shortly after, Ienzo followed them as Even busily began to type away on his computer.

Confused and alarmed, Lea groaned and shook his head. "What the blazes is going on here?" Lea demanded. "I thought everything was under control here?"

"We've been getting attacks lately by Heartless now and then," Even told him, his fingers moving like lightning as he typed. "Unlike you Lea, we've been trying to protect this world from falling into the hands of darkness. And we will not let that happen again."

Lea observed as Even stopped typing on his computer. A few moments later, the blaring siren began to die down, and the red flashing lights shut off. Once everything had calmed down, the researcher looked at Lea with seriousness.

"There is a reason why I've been so focused on Castle Oblivion," Even told Lea, pulling up the picture of the mysterious castle on the screen. "There is a secret to the castle that may hold a certain key. We haven't been able to look into it further, but I need you to find out what that key is. With that key, we can find a way to restore Castle Oblivion back to what it once was."

"What is once was?" Lea asked, puzzled. "What was Castle Oblivion's name before?"

"Nobody except those who have been there know," Even continued. "But I am sure that what lies in the castle will play an important role in the future that lies ahead."

Looking down at the floor, Lea thought about what Even wanted him to do. Castle Oblivion was a dangerous place that played tricks with one's memories and even the mind itself. It was no place to go in without knowing where to go.

While Lea was thinking about Even's task, a brown haired man appeared in the lab with a scar on his face. He was strongly built with a serious look on his face. "We fought off the Heartless," the man said in a low voice. "Then a man in a black coat appeared and told us he wants to see you."

Even looked at Lea then at the man in the doorway with a grave look, narrowing his eyebrows. "Did he now? And what was this man's name?"

"He didn't say," The man replied. "But he had long blue hair. And he looked familiar too."

"Isa?!" Lea suddenly shouted in shock. Quickly, he rushed towards the man with wide eyes. "Is it Isa?"

"It might possible be..." The researcher mused, folding his arms. "How very interesting."

Clenching his fist, Lea whirled around and glared at Even. "If it is Isa out there, we need to go see him!"

"I need to stay in the castle," Even protested, shaking his head. "I must protect very important research in here. There is no way that I could leave if Aeleus and Dilan are still out there." Looking at the man in brown hair, the researcher waved his hand away. "Leon, tell him if he wants to talk to me, he will have to wait."

Enraged, Lea shook his head and turned to the brown haired man, Leon. "If Even won't go, I'll go. I need to talk to Isa. There's got to be some reason why he didn't come back to normal with the rest of us!"

Amused by Lea's outburst, Even tilted his head to the side. "Suit yourself. But don't be surprised if you get answers you weren't expecting."

"Fine." Turning to Leon, Lea's eyes flared with adrenaline. "Show me where Isa is."

.

.

.

.

.

.

Author's Note: 9/19/15

Chapter is sort of choppy (trying to work on my writing style since it's been a while since I last wrote) but I hope it was enjoyable! I hope Lea becomes a playable character in KH 3 because that would be sick. Stay tuned for another update :) Let me know in the comments below about any suggestions or commentary! Thanks for reading!