Go Help Josh

Choice: Go back and help Josh.

~~~~~ ~~~~~

No... I can't just leave him alone in there!

Ignoring the obvious warning signs, I made my way back into the mines. I kept my gaze away from Jessica's body, though I did say my respects in my head.

Sure, we might not have been the best of friends... But I would've never wanted for her to die, especially like that.

My walk turned into a limp, which was slowing me down as I kept going. I wanted to call out for him, but if that thing was still here than I would just be causing more trouble for the both of us. I came to a hault when I heard footsteps; I could've sworn that my heart stopped while I waited in suspense. When Josh stepped out from the shadows, I let out a breath that I hadn't realized I had been holding in and I smiled.

"Thank goodness, you're alright." My voice was soft, almost soothing as I spoke to him. I was actually surprised that it wasn't hoarse like it had been earlier.

"Fuck, Court...Th-That thing, it finally left." He let out a sigh as he approached me; his breaths coming out in short pants. I was about ready to hug him, to express my relief of seeing him uninjured -- but my head began spinning, a heavy spell of dizziness hitting me. I swayed slightly before suddenly falling forwards into his arms.

"Courtney? What's-" He went silent, until I heard a choked sob escape him. "Oh fuck... Oh fuck, man!" I watched his eyes fill with panic and disbelief, and I could make out my reflection in his hazel orbs.

Funny, the things you notice when you're dying.

"No... shit, oh shit." He was going back and forth between checking the wound on my side and craddling me in his arms. "No no no, not yet... fuck, please not yet!" I couldn't stand seeing him like this; using the little strength I had left, I reached up and pulled his head down until our lips met. We parted, my lips forming a small smile.

Tears began spilling from his eyes, rolling down his cheeks and then falling onto my face. The tear drops fell silently, and yet every single one shattered against my skin like glass.

"Love, it has no guarentees...
Which muse will lay it's hands on me
We said the words, we knocked on wood
And I'm still here waiting to see what could be.
What if the closest I get to the moment is now?"

~~~~~

[Third POV]

The police entered the Blackwood Mountain mines, ignorant to what they'd find inside. It wasn't long before they stumbled upon the remnants of a body; the only thing remaining was scattered bits of skin, muscle, and bone, along with a jawless head. They barely recognized her from the photo provided by parents, but they were able to define the body part; it belonged to one of the missing teenagers, Jessica.

As they ventured deeper into the mine, they began to hear unnatural noises -- the ripping of flesh, and a sound simillar to that of an animal eating another animal. There was the crunch of bone, followed by a territorial growl. As the officers shifted the aim of their flashlight towards the noise, they were met with a truely gruesome sight.

A man was leaning over the remains of what looked to be a female's body; he tore his hands through a gaping hole in her side and pulled out flesh and entrails, then brought it to his mouth and devoured it.

One of the officers stepped back rather hastilly, causing his heavy footstep to echo through the room. The man's head snapped in their direction, revealing his partially deformed face. The face belonged to Joshua Washington, but he was no longer a man -- he was undergoing the transformation into a merciless creature. The mutilated corpse laying lifelessly on the ground beside him was none other than one of the other missing teenagers.
The younger sister of Christopher -- Courtney.