Puppy Dog Eyes

"I just called a cab," Jen said.

"Okay, so when the nurse comes I'll ask if its okay for me to go home. I'm pretty sure it is because she already gave me my cast. All I need are some crutches and I'll be fine," Christine said.

"Okay, I hope this works." Jen said. 

"Me too." Christine said. 

~

The nurse came down the hallway.

She stopped in front of Christine's door when she saw Tom and his black eye.

"Sweetie, you need to put some ice on that." She said to him.

"Yes ma'am, I know." Tom said politely.

"Give me one second and I'll get some for you."She said

"Oh no really, I'm fine, I can wait until I get home-"Tom was cut off.

"Now don't argue with me young man, I'll get you some ice in a minute." She said.

"Okay, thank you ma'am." Tom knew this lady was serious.

Before she walked away, Jidenna asked, "How is she?" Referring to Christine.

"Oh, she's fine, she just needs a bit more rest." She said.

Then she walked into the room and closed the door.

"Thanks," Jidenna whispered as he sat down with his head in his hands.

Tom exhaled and sat down wearily into the seat next to Jidenna.

He looked over, "You okay, man?" He asked.

"Yah, I think so. I'm mostly concerned about this Jamal guy. He really got under my skin." Jidenna said.

"Yah, that sucks. But you guys will get through it. I can tell you really care about her." Tom said.

"Thanks man," Jidenna looked over. "You and Jen are lucky to have such a good relationship. I saw you holding her hand earlier."

Tom laughed, "Yah, well believe it or not she's actually upset with me." He said. 

"Honestly, I don't know how you manage with her. You know, she tried to kill me once?" Jidenna laughed.

"Really? That does sound like her." Tom laughed. "What happened?"

"It was really just a big misunderstanding..." Jidenna began.

~

"You want to do what?" The nurse asked Christine.

"I feel fine, I just want to go home." Christine said

"We want to get away from all the drama," Jen hinted at the guys outside, "if you know what I mean." 

The nurse sighed. "You young things are too much for me. But, alright, how can I help." 

"Oh thank you so much!" Christine tried to get up and give the nurse a hug but she ended up falling back down on the bed. 

"Ow," she said.

"Girl, stay off that leg or it won't heal as quickly!" The nurse commanded.

She made Christine feel like a scolded little girl. 

"Yes ma'am." Christine said. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

A few minutes later the nurse brought the ice pack for Tom and the crutches for Christine. When she and Christine were all ready to go, Jen said, "Okay, the cab's outside."

"Okay, lets do this," Christine said. 

"Just remember," Jen said, "look really hurt, sad, and tired." 

"Got it," Christine said.

"Oh, and do your puppy dog eyes." Jen added, "Jidenna won't stand a chance against those."

"Okay, good idea." Christine said. She stood up on her crutches and Jen put her arm around her waist.

"You ready?" Jen asked picking up Christine's bag.

"Yah," Christine said.

~

The girls walked out of the room. Jiddena and Tom had been laughed and talking but immediately stopped and stood when they saw the girls exit the room.

"Take it nice and slow," Jen said gently. 

"Do you need help?" Jidenna quickly appeared by Christine's side. He reached around her to help support her back but Christine cringed in pain.

"Ow, please don't touch me. Everything hurts!" She complained and continued inching forward on her crutches supported by Jen.

"Its okay, were almost there." Jen comforted.

"Almost where?" Tom questioned. 

"The cab." Jen replied.

"You called a cab?" Jidenna was confused.

"I could've drove, Jen. Why didn't you just ask me?" Tom asked

"Yah, Christine, I can take you home." Jidenna reached in again.

"Ooh my goodness it hurts!" Christine cried out.

Jidenna drew his hand back. "Babe, I didn't even touch you. What hurts? Maybe I can help." He said with concern etched on his face.

Tom moved beside Jen. "Here, let me take the bag." He said.

"No, its okay, I got it." Jen said.

"Agh, Jen how much farther do I have to walk?" Christine complained. 

"Just a little farther until the door, sweetie." Jen said.

"Wait, Christine can we talk about this?" Jidenna asked.

"Yeah, Jen, c'mon we have to talk." Tom said.

The girls ignored their dates and walked through the door. They saw their cab.

"Here you go sweetie," Jen helped Christine into the front seat.

"Where to ma'am?" The cab driver asked. Christine gave their address. 

Jen walked around to the back seat but before she could sit down Tom grabbed her arm.

"Jen, wait we have to talk about this. You can't just leave!" Tom said.

Jen turned around to face him and yanked her arm free. "What I have to do is make sure my best friend is okay. I don't owe you anything. Besides, you can take your own self home."

She got into the backseat.

Jidenna was bent over trying to talk to Christine through the window. 

"Christine, wait! Just hold on!" He said.

"Jen, c'mon, don't do this!" Tom was yelling through Jen's window.

"Taxi driver, go!" Christine and Jen both yelled.

The taxi pulled off and left the guys standing in the hospital parking lot. 

Christine looked back at her best friend and couldn't help but laugh. 

"We did it." She said.

"Yah," Jen wasn't laughing, "we did." She looked out of her window and thought of Tom. She had no idea what to do about him.

"Its going to be okay." Christine held Jen's hand. "We'll figure this out." 

~

Edit Check! Dunh, dunh, dunhhh! Thanks so much for reading.

~Dallas Rey