27.

"Read up on page 37 in your history textbook and answer the quizzes on page 39," Mrs. Lorenzo tells us as homework right before the lunch bell rang.

I pack up my things thanking God that our next history class will be next week. I am going to sleep over at Ramona's house and I'm positive that I won't be able to get any work done. We'll probably just paint our toes and watch movies. The only reason why I am going is because Ramona won't let it go and she promises that we will watch what I want. She even called my mother and asked her, and of course my mom gave us the go ahead. The movie I have in mind will definitely ensure we head to bed early.

"Here," a dark brown haired guy comes up to me with something in his hand. "You're invited to my birthday party Thursday."

"Uh-oh," I say taking the invite from him. It isn't the first I have been invited to a birthday party, but I usually just act like I don't see them and it would stop. It's been a long time I guess.

"It's kind of a pool party, so you can bring a bikini if you want," the guy shrugs casually and I recognize him as one of Nate's football friends. "Or you could just come in the bikini. Your choice."

"I'll think about it," I lie with a tight smile and he flashes me a smile before walking away.

I take up my books before walking out of the class. I stand at the trashcan and throw the invitation in it.

"What are you doing?" Ramona comes in my class and immediately take out the invitation. "Are you crazy? This is going to be the party of the year."

I raise an eyebrow at her with disinterest. "How did you know I am in this class?"

"Amber, I am your best friend," she looks at me as if I was retarded or something. I don't know when that happened, but I am probably retarded if she is actually my best friend.

"When did that happen?" I ask with a confused expression.

"You have to go," she says ignoring my question. "I want to go and so those the rest of us. Please." She hands me the invitation and pouts.

"I'm not stopping you guys from going Ramona," I say walking out the class and going to my locker. "If you want to go, you go. It's your choice."

"You don't realize who you are yet?" She asks in disbelief. "You are our leader, Amber. If you don't go-" she points her manicured finger at me for emphasis. "We can't go."

"Okay, if that's what you want," I say turning from her and putting my books in my locker. "But I don't think I am going."

"Please!" I now here a chorus and turn around to see the minions have join the party forming a group around me.

"It's a school night. I am not doing something as stupid as that again," I sigh and they just pout even more. "Do I have to stay at the party the entire night?"

"No," they all say instantly.

"Fine," I say finally not liking this. "I'll go, but I won't go to anymore parties for the year."

"Yeahhh!" They say giving me a tight group hug which I don't like. That's one of the reasons why I have a male as a best friend, females love to hug way too much.

"Thank you," Ramona says as they release me. "We'll talk about attire tonight at my house."

I shrug as I lock my locker. "I really don't care."

We are about to head off to the cafeteria when my phone rings. I look at the caller identification and hesitate.

"Are you okay?" Ramona asks as I stop in my tracks, falling behind.

"Yeah," I say with a smile that I hope doesn't look too fake. "Y'all go ahead. I will be there in a minute. Just get me a Diet Coke and an apple."

They nod and I make my way to the parking lot. I lean against the car before unlocking my phone and decide to call back Nate. I pull up his contact, but before I can call him, my phone rings again. I answer it immediately.

"Nate?" I say, not liking how desperate I sound.

"Hey, is it lunch time yet?" He doesn't sound different, so I guess we are still okay.

"Yeah, where are you?" I want to feel him out and see if he will lie to me or something. I'm a little concerned about him. Maybe I am just paranoid, but I will see.

"Didn't mom tell you?" Oh, so she told him that I called. "Look, I am sorry I didn't tell you I was going to be in France. It's just that you're all happy and don't seem to have time for me, so I thought you wouldn't notice."

"I can't believe you would think that Nate," I tell him a little shocked. "You're my best friend. Of course I would notice. You had me worried."

"That's what my mom said," he let out a humorless chuckle. "Anyways, I got to go. Talk to you later?"

"Yep, call me and tell your grandmother hi for me." I say stalling for more talk time with him.
"Yeah, will do." He hangs up before I can protest and I frown down at my phone. Maybe he's just a little distant because of his grandmother's sickness. They are close.

"Yeah that's it," I tell myself as I make my way back inside. "Nothing I need to read into."

Or do I?

1999beauty
All rights reserved.