Chapter 18

"Okay, Charlie. We've played barbies, had a tea party, had our talent show, and had a pillow fight. It's time for bed."I said.
"But Avery!! We still have to have a sleepover!!" Charlie said cheerfully. I yawned and glanced at the clock that read 11:00pm. When was Diana getting back?? I reached for my cell, and saw a bunch of unread messages.

Diana: Hey Avery! We decided to stay the night at our friends, they invited us , if it's ok with u.

Diana: Sweetheart is everything ok? I'll come back if you want me too ;) I can call a cab

Me: Sorry Diana! I didn't see your messages till now! Go ahead and sleep over, we will be fine.
A few minutes later, I got a response.
Diana: Great! Thanks so much, darling! How's Charlie doing? In bed yet?
Me: She is having a blast ;) Says there's one more thing left on her list to do and then I'll tuck her in :)

Diana: thanks again for doing this! Goodnight to the both of you :)

"Well? Are we gonna have a sleepover or not?"Charlotte whined.
"Of course! Come on,"I said. I took her into the kitchen and plopped her on the island.
"Ok...Cheetos or Dill Pickle Chips?"I asked, searching through the cabinets.
"Cheetos! Cheetos! Cheetos!"she cheered.
"Cheetos it is then!" I said as I poured her and myself a large bowl of them to share.
Once the chips were ready, I poured each of us a glass of juice and put everything on a tray.
"Come on, let's go upstairs,"I said as I started towards the stairs.

Once we reached my room I took the spare mattress out of the linen closet and attempted to put sheets on while Charlotte bounced on the it.
After we got all cozied up, I took out a couple board games and we played some, until the hyper and energetic Charlie got sleepy. She yawned and rubbed her eyes.
"Here, come on. Let's get you cleaned up before bed,"I said. I lifted her up and carried her to my bathroom.
I sat her on the toilet and took a warm facecloth to clean off all the Cheetos powder that remained on her face and fingers.
I got her to brush her teeth and I refilled her glass of juice with water and placed it on my bedside table.
She got her PJs on and I put away the board games.
After I tucked her in, I hopped into my own bed, right beside her, and dozed off in only a few minutes.

I awoke to Charlie tapping my shoulder. "Avery?"
I woke up. "Yes?"I asked.
"I'm scared of the monster that might be under your bed. Can I sleep with you in case he comes?"she asked.
"Of course,"I said and patted the empty spot next to me. She hopped in and didn't say another peep until morning.

When I woke up, in the morning this time, I saw Charlie still sleeping beside me.