Last Day of School

"Kennedy I can feel you staring at me." I sigh, lift my head from the paper on my desk as I finish my assignment, and slowly turn my head to my friend who is clearly staring at me.

"I'm sorry! It's just that it's the last day you'll be in class." Kennedy frowns.

"Yeah it is, it's so bittersweet. Like I'm so excited to finally be done with public school, but I'll most definitely miss the people."

"I wish I was you... Do you if you're doing virtual school or are you going to be home schooled?" Kennedy asks.

"Home schooled. My manager's hiring me a tutor. Apparently that's more convenient than virtual school since you can work at your own pace." I shrug.

"That's cool though."

"Yeah, hopefully it means that I'll graduate early." We both laugh.

"Cheating on your last day of school, I expected so much more from you Stella." My Psychology teacher Mr. Ross shook his head.

"Mr. Ross you gave us an opened notes exam... that's a crossword puzzle. What is there to cheat on?" I ask.

"You'd be surprised." He smiles wistfully. while sitting on the corner of his desk positioned a couple feet in front of Kennedy and me.

"Have you finished your midterm yet or am I distracting you?.. Not that it will really matter since you're choosing music over Psychology." He attempts to say nonchalantly while sitting on the corner of his desk positioned a couple feet in front of Kennedy and me.

"I finished my crossword puzzle, yeah." I respond and receive a laugh from Kennedy.

"And for the umpteenth time I'm choosing music over Psychology for now. After a decade or so break with because of my music I plan on going back to school for Psychology. I have a passion for both so who says I can't have both?"

"Us untalented folk." Kennedy interjects.

"Oh shut up, you're anything but." I wave off her ridiculous comment.

"So what's the plan of action for you when you escape prison- I mean leave school." Mr. Ross asks while adjusting his sleeves that were folded at his elbows. 

I wait a couple seconds for Mr. Ross to make eye contact just to shake my head at his terrible teacher joke before going on.

"Well in the near future; meetings with my record label, promoting, interviews, promoting, finding myself a tutor, working on music videos, promoting, releasing my ep... more interviews, more promoting... yeah, and then repeat." I nod.

"That sounds dreadful. Are you sure you're not making a mistake?"

"Positive."

The three of us went on talking about the music industry until I realized I had to use the restroom. Once I received Mr. Ross' permission, I walk into the hallway and pick up the bathroom pass on my way out.

Looking up and down the plain white walls of my school I smile as I realize that this will be my last time walking the hallway during class. There would be no more rendezvous with different friends to gossip, or mysterious boys to flirt with. It's funny how something so minuscule could hold so much meaning.

As I got to the bathroom I found that the same thing applied here with the writing on the walls. I smile at the ridiculous conversations written in Sharpie on the mirror over sink while I was my hands.

I decide to prolong my walk back to class by getting a drink from the water fountain, and just as I was going to turn the corner to my classroom I see Ethan Torres.  The guy putting a strain on my sister's almost relationship.

"Ethan!" I exclaim.

He turns in my direction and the second he realizes it's me that award winning smile of his was plastered on his face.

"Stella." He  leans against the wall waiting for me.

I guess I have one last rendezvous left.

"So are the rumors true? It's your last day today?" He asks walking alongside me when I reach him.

"They are true. I'm finally outta here." I sigh.

"You're a little too excited there, Stella. I need you to bring it down a little." I crack a little smile at Ethan's joke.

"Why aren't you more excited though?"

"I am.. I've just been thinking about what I'm giving up."

"I'd give it up in a heartbeat for what you're doing." He shakes his head.

"Eh, I guess."

We slow our pace as I reach my classroom.

"Oh and one more thing." I turn to Ethan who has a questioning expression on his face.

"Yeah?"

"Do you have a thing for my sister?" Judging by the look on his face, my question really took him off guard. 

"Peyton?" 

"No. My other sister." I roll my eyes.

"She's cool, but I don't see her like that.. Why, she has a thing for me?" He smirks.

"No. You're making her guy jealous." I explain.

"Who? Dan?"

"I'm not telling you. Ca-"

"Since when are they a thing?" He asks growing curious.

"Ethan!" I interrupt his thought process.

"Alright, alright. I'll tone it down a bit." 

"Good." I laugh while opening the door and walking back into class.