Phenomenon

Chapter 16 - Phenomenon

When I opened my eyes in the morning, something  felt different.

Light streamed through the small window into my tiny room. As I woke up I took notice to the  gray-green sky of dawn the color illuminated by the great trees. There were still clouds in the sky but it was still clear somehow as light managed to peak through the clouds. For once there was no fog veiling the window.

I jumped up to looked outside, squealing in delight. I missed the sun, but the best part was the snow.

A fine layer of snow covered the yard, dusted the top of my truck (note to self: destroy that truck), and whitened road. The best part of all was that all the rain from yesterday had frozen solid - coating the needles on the trees in fantastic, gorgeous patterns, and making the driveway deadly to humans.

Charlie left for work before I got downstairs, so I was free to move at vampire speed. In a lot of ways, living with Charlie was like having my own place, and I found myself reveling in the solitude from the lack of people instead of being lonely.

Today I was wearing my favorite pink shirt, it had a mouse on it and said mighty mouse, jeans, my leather jacket, and black Ugg boots. Not caring, I walked out of the house and started off to school. On the way I stopped to snack on a herd of deer, because lately I couldn't get to a human to feed due to the my stalkers, the Cullens.

Animal blood was nothing compared to human blood. If I could I would never drink this junk again but I must survive in some way and I would continue with this charade until I grew tired of it.

Finally I arrived at school, after a nice snack and almost everyone was there. The Cullens were on the opposite side, far away from me, but they were watching me. It was like they knew something was going to happen. The physic probably told them about one of her visions, I overheard them talking in lunch one day about thier abilities and how they didn't exactly work around me.

My ears rang when an odd sound filled the air. It was a high-pitched screech, and it was becoming painfully loud. My ears could stand the hig frequency and I grabbed ahold of my head, praying for the pain to stop. As I prayed, I saw everything in perfect detail. Unlike movies it wasn't slow motion, the car was going to crash hard and someone was going to get hurt.

Tyler Crowley's blue van was coming straight at me. The stupid human must have slipped on the ice.

There were two choices. I could always move out of the way, moving at a inhuman speed or I could get hit by the van, then have to explain why I'm still alive or how I healed so quickly..

Edward's face filled my vision, his face was priceless. His once beautiful inhuman face was frozen in shock and horror, a look that looked horendous on him. One minute he is standing next to his shiny car, I saw the decision as he made up his mind and he next thing I knew he was running towards me with his vampire speed. His pale hand stretched outwards to stop the van as the boy grew closer.

This could work in my favor.

Edward's body hit him and I couldn't help but crumble from the sheer force of energy.  My eyes found his and heat rushed through me for a few seconds. There was no time to dwell on his prozimity as the shattering crunch of the van folding around us made itseld know. Allowing the young boy push me down, I hit my head and the impact temorarily dazed me.

The van came to a stop.

His hands moved so quickly, they should have been a blur. One was suddenly gripping under the body of the van. My legs were being thrown around. A groaning metallic thud hurt my ears almost as much as the scretching brakes, youc ould imagine how it must have hurt the Cullen's ears with their super hearing. Students rushed around us onto the asphalt. I wanted to move, but I didn't want to blow my cover. I had to play the dazed and possiably injured human.