27 - Dangerous Distractions

Eugene P.O.V

As soon as the silence was broken, it was a like a flip was switched. Everyone bursted into freak-out mode, Anna was holding her head in her hands and rocking a bit like she couldn't believe what was happening, Kristoff was staring blankly into space, eyes glazed over. Hiccup had grabbed the screen and was hitting it repeatedly as if it was the box's fault, while Merida was frantically glancing out the tinted windows into the night in case they were coming.

I was grimly glancing around e and noticed that Rap was the only one not freaking out. In fact, she had a small smug smirk on her face. I quickly became confused. "Is something amusing to you? Aren't you scared of what they will do?" I asked and she turned to me, her smirk turning into a full blown grin.

"Well of course I am, what's amusing is that I was right. I told you guys that this was a bad idea, that we should have just left them alone and do you listen? No. No one ever listens to Rapunzel. She's just the nurse with the peppy attitude." She replied, miffed. I sighed and ran a hand over my face, this was going to be bad. "So yes, I am worried about the wrath of our leaders but I am also pissed off at all of you."

Her smirk was now gone and she crossed her arms over her chest, humphing and she stared out the window in dismay. I sighed again, reaching a hand out to touch her shoulder, careful to avoid her hair as I scooted closer. "I'm sorry babe, I know we should have listened to you but we were just caught up in the moment." I tried to reason.

Rapunzel sighed, turning back around to face me. "Yeah I know." She smiled at me as I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. Then she sat up straight, looking around her at our fellow teammates who were all still freaking out. "HEY!" She yelled and everyone's heads turned towards her's automatically. "Listen, if we want to get out of this with our heads still attached to our bodies, you'll have to listen to me. We only have a few minutes before they develop a plan and come after us. Now, will you listen to me.... for once?"

I smiled proudly at her and grabbed her hand. "What do we have to do?"

Merida P.O.V

I snuck around some trees, my bow positioned in my hand and loaded with practice arrows. I'm not gonna shoot my best friend and her boy friend for real, this is just for defense. We all knew Punzie's plan and it was actually brilliant. I was now closer to the beach, my flip flops over bigger stones that dug into my heels but I was more concentrating on the signal that was bound to come any moment. 

I took a step closer, my flip flop getting stuck on a root and I tumbled to the ground, my jaw hitting the rocks and scraping my chin. I fell with my arms above me so my bow and arrow were still intact instead of being crushed underneath my weight. That's good. 

"Mer, you alright? I heard a crash." Hiccup's worried voice came over the intercom in my ear and I sighed, slightly agitated that I made a sound and slightly touched that he cared so much about me. But I also knew that he cared too much and would be coming over to me right now, which could spoil the plan altogether.

"Yeah, I'm fine, I just tripped." I whispered back, slowly getting up and rubbing my chin. I came away with a little blood but it was nothing I can't handle until Punz can help. My knees were a little scratched too but the rest of me looked fine so I stood up straight, placing both hands back on my bow in a ready position. 

I could just barely see the lights from the date we set up for Jack and Elsa but I could probably get over there in less than thirty seconds if I ran. But I also knew I would be slowed down by these blasted flip flops so I threw them off, flicking them like a frisbee in the direction of the car. My feet now touched to rock infested sand and slid in between my toes. It was getting uncomfortable as I waited for the signal so I stealthily shifted down the beach a bit more so I was in smoother sand.

The waves just barely met my toes but it felt nice. I walked a few more steps and closed my eyes, feeling the relief of the cool water. "MERIDA!" A voice shouted in my ear, making me wince as I turned the volume down on my intercom. 

Intercom. The mission. CRAP! 

I leapt out of the waves as they became more fierce and looked towards the direction of the palm tree circle. But I couldn't see the light. 

I looked up at the sky to see it becoming dark, clouds covering the moon and stars at a fast pace as the wind and waves picked up as well. I looked back to the direction of the perfect date and could just barely make out the part that was more dark than the others, signifying the trees. 

"I'm coming!" I shouted into the device as I sprinted into the direction of the shadows. But as I came closer, I realized it wasn't the right trees. I whirled around to find myself on the other side of the diner we had gone to. I must have walked along the beach more than I should have. I sprinted towards the diner, the only source of light in the gloomy night as my legs ached and my chin stung.

As I ran past the diner and towards where I think the tree circle it,  I now wished I hadn't ditched my flip flops as I ran through the trees, over roots and wood chips. "MERIDA! Are you ok?" Hiccup asked in my ear as I forced past the last trees and onto sand, the tiny particles imbedding themselves in my new cuts and scrapes.

"I don't know! Where are you guys?" I answered, trying to collect my bearings as I spotted the tree circle in the distance. The lights are out, answering why I couldn't see it before, and I was confused. Shutting off the lights was not part of our plan. 

"Come back to the circle, something's not right." Anna informed me, sounding unbelievably worried. I took a deep breath and set off again, throwing my bow over my shoulder and my arrow into the quiver. 

Once I got to the circle of trees, I noticed the other five in the center, standing around the table and chairs that we had set up earlier except they didn't exactly resemble table and chairs anymore. 

One of the chair's seat was bent beyond repair, the other had three of the four legs snapped off. The table was in half, one of the halves resting precariously in the tree branches and the other all the way across the clearing. Spaghetti was strewn all over the ground in saucy lumps. It looked like a massive fight took place here.

"Oh my god." I said, raising a hand to cover my mouth in shock. I turned my head to look at them, directing my question to Rapunzel. "Where are they?" I questioned but she shook her head.

"We don't know." She said dejectedly. 

I pulled my phone out of my back pocket, turning it on. "I'm calling Elsa." I announced.

"We already tried, they aren't picking up." Kristoff told me but I wasn't listening. 

I had one voice mail from Elsa on my phone. 

It's obvious she would call me, I'm her second in command and the first person on her favorites. I looked at the other five in major worry. "Guys, Elsa called me." I said.

"Speaker phone." Hiccup instructed, going into leader mode as Elsa and Jack weren't here and he's Jack's second in command.

I nodded numbly and pressed play, hitting speaker phone and holding the phone out so everyone would be able to hear. 

It was Elsa's voice, but it was so scared and fragile that I almost didn't recognize it. "H-Help," She said. "Merida, help." Then we heard a muffled scream and the line went dead.

A/N

Go ahead, hate me for this but it will probably just get worse. I have planned out the rest of the story so now there is only probably five-ish chapters left, just be warned. There was a little Eugenzel in this chapter that I liked but most of this chapter is filler and a gateway for what is going to happen next. Hope you liked it and thanks for reading!

-G