I continued my walk to the front door without sparing him a glace.

 "Out," I grumbled in a monotone voice while throwing the door open and slamming it in his face without a second thought. 

While driving to the small cafe near the outskirts of town, I couldn't help but regret how I acted towards Ben this morning. My subconscious kept yelling at me to be the bigger person. My guilt gnawed relentlessly at me until I pulled up into a parking spot near the quaint cafe. I was welcomed by the sights of the the familiar deep green awnings, paired with aged window shutters covering the two largely sized windows looking into the restaurant.  

I used to come here often in the beginning of college. The cafe had a cozy, open feeling to it that welcomed me graciously in my darkest times. 

I stepped out of my car onto the warm cement side walk. Out of the corner of my eyes, I spotted a woman with far too many grocery bags in her aged hands. She was struggling to make it back to her car in one trip and my heart clenched for her. Running over quickly, I offered my help to her in which she greatly accepted. 

"You are too kind, my dear," she spoke in a tired but merry voice, smiling up at me while handing me a few bags.

"It's really no problem." I smiled back and hauled the bags into her car. 

"You are so beautiful. Inside and out," her rasped voice said fondly. " Don't ever let anyone take that from you." Determination clear in her delicate voice. My voice slipped away from me for a moment at her tender advice and lovely compliment. She patted my arm affectionately and left without another word. I had to physically shake my self back into reality after that odd but delightful moment. I spun on my heel in the direction of the cafe only to take a surprised step back when I came face to face with the ever-strikingly handsome, Mr. McCoy. 

There he stood, tall as ever, dressed in those same dark wash jeans and a light blue button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, exposing his tan, muscular forearms. His dark brown hair was swept back into perfection, only making my hands twitch in desire to run my fingers through it and mess it up. His eyes gleamed with mirth and...admiration? 

"You are truly one of a kind, Ms. Merrick." His compliment sounded so sincere. I had to bow my head to keep him from seeing the blush that had appeared on my cheeks. I pulled my bottom lip in between my teeth and bit down to keep the smile that had risen on my lips from spreading into a full blown grin. 

"I would hope so. Being ordinary is so boring," I said through my impending smile, bravely peeking up at him through my eyelashes. He shook his head with a lighthearted look in his eyes. 

"And boring, you are not," he said before gesturing to the few tables that sat outside of the cafe. "Care to sit outside and enjoy the weather?" 

I nodded my head at him and he waved for me to go ahead of him. I took a few steps before feeling a warm weight, of what I assumed to be his hand, rest slightly on the small of my back. Butterflies erupted in my stomach at his unexpected touch. I cautiously looked around the scene to see if anyone that we could possibly know was watching. 

"There's no one around, Alex." His voice whispered huskily next to my ear, making me slightly jump and falter in my steps, bringing us to a halt. His body pressed up against my back and both of his hands locked onto either side of my waist, making sure I didn't fall from the small impact. My breath hitched in my throat and my body came to a stiff standstill. It felt as though time had stopped, waiting in anticipation for what move would be made next and by whom.