Chapter 33 - Dating The Enemy

Cammie held the steering wheel at nine and three, leaning closer to the windshield so that she could read the street names. She wrinkled her nose at the absence of street names for the past few blocks and pushed her glasses up quickly.

"Is it still rerouting?" she glanced over at Carol Anne whose head was buried into her phone that shown brightly on her lightly made up face.

"Yeah-" Carol Anne said as it rerouted, "-okay take the next left and then go down three blocks and then make a left to get back onto the avenue. All of these one ways-" Carol Anne trailed off.

Cammie huffed as she tried not to stare at all of the people hanging out in front of the liquor stores and buildings, "I've never been to this area before," Cammie twisted her lips and took a left, almost hitting someone. The man looked back at her as he stood before the car. He was walking with two other men who slowed down to see.

Cammie panicked, apologizing through the car window. The man came to her side of the car window and taped the glass, making Carol Anne grab the gun in her bag. Travis told her to hold onto it.

He motioned for Cammie to roll the window down and she did so, "Y'all going out to the party at Boogie's place?"

"No, we are actually heading to a viewing," Cammie answered.

"Oh iight I see," he leaned down to look at Carol Anne, "-sorry about the loss. We losin' our people every day in these streets to all kinds a shit_. But y'all will be good. Keep your glasses up and tell shawty in the passenger side that she could let go of that piece she has in her purse," the man pushed Cammie's glasses up and pointed to Carol Anne, tapping the door and watching Cammie drive off.

Cammie kept her eyes on the road, "I watched this movie and it said not to trust anyone in the hood, especially if you aren't from around there. But stereotypes are for the ignorant-"

"You can say that again," Carol Anne clapped.

Once arriving back onto the main avenue, they felt more comfortable that they knew where they were going. Carol Anne turned in her seat, facing Cammie, "I still can't believe you are like some bridge between us and like....ghosts,"

"I don't either," Cammie replied, not wanting to have this conversation. But it now affected everyone's lives so she had to talk about it whenever it was brought up.

"So what exactly can you do?" Carol Anne questioned.

"I am not entirely sure. And Slim wants me to help him contact Blaze. Blaze always contacted me. I don't think that I know how to like-get there,"

"But you did it when Simone was there,"

"Yeah but I feel like I don't want to risk something like that without her being there. She probably did it not me," Cammie shrugged.

"Here it is on the right," Carol Anne pointed to the funeral home. There were a lot of people there as she expected. There were a lot of young people, most likely cousins and nephews and nieces of Price. Some children were running around on the parking lot, getting scolded by their parents who snatched them up every now and then and told them that they needed to behave.

Cammie didn't want to beep as she tried to inch into the parking lot and no one wanted to move around, "Beep the horn," Carol Anne leaned over and pressed down on the horn, alarming soon and made some cuss at them.

"Why would you do that?" Cammie moved her hand as she went all the way to the back and found a parking space. She wore all black to work today so that she wouldn't have to change. She simply had on her black dress pants, the black flats she stomps in, a black fitted button down and she threw a dark green cardigan over herself because it was chilly. Her hair was billed up in a tight puff that she could not straighten out earlier and she wore a little bit of jewelry, only a shimmery brown lip stick on.